My first big problem with my Weber Carb.

chinard

Okay, peeps...

I've had my weber installed for a couple of months now and for the most part its been behaving itself and hasn't given me any problems other than a couple of cold start problems and a few sags in the mid-band. (both of which is just a matter of fine tuning the carb)

Yesterday I went to take my jeep out on the road, and as soon as i got the engine to start, VRRRRROOOOOOOOOOMMMMM races all the way up to 5500 RPM and will NOT come down!!!

So I immediately killed the ignition, waited a few mins, then tried it again... and again... and again...

So by this time i'm thinking that something is definitely wrong here, so i start checking all the vacuum hoses... all tight...

Then i'm tracking the throttle cable... all fine so far...

Then i get to the throttle assembly on the back of the carb, and lets just say that i have no idea what its SUPPOSED to look like, so i start fiddling around and i find a small spring that looks like its supposed to connect to something.

Now i have no refference whatsoever on where things are supposed to link up, but i managed to guess right on where that spring was supposed to connect, and everything seems to be fine now and i'm driving it around with no problems.

I've been looking online for some kind of documentation on the weber, and i found a couple of links from quadratech.com, but not much else.

I'm mostly curious as to KNOWING how all the parts work so that i can better troubleshoot this thing, because it doesnt look that complicated. Its actually pretty well designed. It looks like everything that you would need to tune it is easily accessible without having to disassemble anything.

My top two problems right now are that it doesnt cold start well, but once you've started it, restarting it is a breeze. This is probably just a choke adjustment (which i havent figured out yet)

The second problem is that when you FLOOR the gas, it sputters and gags for a bit and generaly makes noises like its running out of gas. I'm not sure what needs to be adjusted for this, it may even be a problem with my fuel pump (maybe i need a better one)

Anyways, that was my drama for yesterday. If anybody can point me at information where i can start reading up on how to fix and tune this weber a bit better, i'd be a happy camper...
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i'd just convert to fuel injection...save alot of time and hassel[addsig]

Converting to fuel injection involves its OWN time and hassle.

I have a good lead on a used 4.0litre head with all the Fuel injection bits and pieces for dirt cheap. I'll do that after i get the rest of the jeep fixed up.

I don't want to dive into fuel injection until i have at least upgraded the ignition, fixed all the oil leaks, and upgraded the fuel pump.

Then I might just go for the mopar MPI kit.

But for right now i'm getting great performance out of this weber and reletively trouble free operation, so it stays put for the time being.[addsig]

This site has some good info They also sell parts. That exploded diagram may be a bit hard to read, but should help some.

Things I've found with my weber. A fuel pressure regulator is almost a must with it. Depending on what you read, weber recommends 3 to 3.5 psi MAX fuel pressure.

your bogging -may- be fixed with a little more timing, thats what worked for me. I currently have the "nutter" bypass and the TFI conversion. I think '82 is different that '83 in some ways, but I don't know exactly how.

I don't know your climate, but in -very- cold weather, the weber being a very open carb with no THERMAC(unless yours is setup that way), the throttle can freeze open when the motor is still cold, so don't floor it 'till its warm.
image-missing.png

HTH, -keith[addsig]

Back