My luck ran out. Transmission problem.

lah2420

The jeep's been running good for several months. Today it gave me a new noise. On the way home, running in 5th gear, I started hearing a loud rattling noise and felt it in my shifter. It goes away when I downshift to 4th. I have a good idea what it is, but want to see what others say. It's an AX15.

Any educated guesses out there? I'm getting ready to drop the transmission again. This is getting old. I just replaced an oil soaked clutch a few months ago.
When I bought the transmission, it was needing help. After rebuilding it, putting it in, and taking it out about 3 times, I found a slightly bent 5th gear shift rail. So I've had the 5th gear countershaft assembly apart about 3 times trying to see what was wrong. I didn't replace the snap ring the last times of tearing it down. I think that may be where my problem is. I'm guessing the snap ring has come off. If so, what's the trick to making it stay on? I'll be ordering whatever new parts I need, no matter how small this time.

That's gotta be aggravating. I don't know what snap ring you are talking about, but get a new one. Most industrial supply places will give you one. If that doesn't hold it in, try one size smaller if it's an external snap ring or one size bigger for internal. Make sure the groove is clean.
The good news is, you'll be an Ax15 expert by the time this is overwith.

Any educated guesses out there? I'm getting ready to drop the transmission again. This is getting old. I just replaced an oil soaked clutch a few months ago.
When I bought the transmission, it was needing help. After rebuilding it, putting it in, and taking it out about 3 times, I found a slightly bent 5th gear shift rail. So I've had the 5th gear countershaft assembly apart about 3 times trying to see what was wrong. I didn't replace the snap ring the last times of tearing it down. I think that may be where my problem is. I'm guessing the snap ring has come off. If so, what's the trick to making it stay on? I'll be ordering whatever new parts I need, no matter how small this time.

Get a full circle snap ring of you can.

Well, here's what happened. Any ideas why this would break? The counter 5th gear I replaced about a year ago still looks good.

Attachments

• bad5thgr.JPG
    bad5thgr.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 335

It does look like they were squashed doesn't it? Actually, they are broken off. All the pieces were in the bottom of the transmission. One tooth was even nearly complete.

Look for something in the debris that doesn't look like a tooth and look around to make sure something didn't break off from another part of the transmission.

Could be that one of the teeth just failed and ate the others up on the way out.

Back