My New Winter Project

pezzo33

Re: trouble engaging Reverse

So the nice little AMC 258 inline six in my Jeep just rolled over 271,000 miles. She is still starting up every day, and runs, but has ner problems. I leak a little oil, burn a little, have a crack in the head and in the block. The Weber carb will not pass emmisions, and it is getting low on power. Will run as long as I need it to, but I have a new project now!

I purchased the same engine (4.2 Liter, 258 Cid inline six, carbourated) from a totaled Cherokee. Has no leaks and burns no oil. Holds pressure great (40 at idle, 80 at WOT). And I am going to rebuild it over the winter, and drop it into the Jeep Got the engine from Oiil Pan to bad Carter Carb to manifolds et all for $200!

Gonna go from top to bottom. Holly four Barrell carb with a Offenheiser 4 barrell intake manifold.
Throw some Borla stainless steel headers off the other end.

New Pistons, rings, camshaft, lifters, retainers, bearings, oil pump, the whole thing. get a nice alloy valve cover instead of the plastic of steel ones they came with, paint it, get the whole engine going, and hope for the best!

It will wire up to my transmission and computer 100%, and aside from tuning the Carb, should be a relatively painless process (famous last words!)

I decided to go with a same engine swap since it will be a lot easier, from wiring to tuning, etc. I figure once all done, I will be in the engine for about $1300, which is not bad, and I SHOULD be able to do all the work myself (rebuild work that is).

My goal is to have it done by April 1, and be able to drop it into the the Jeep then. Similar setups and rebuild have popped out about 175 HP and 220+ Foot pounds at the crank, which will obviously be a huge jump for me. The inline six really is perfect for the application, with needed lots of tourque straight from the get go.

In addition, over the next six months, I will be swapping out the Dana 30 front, 35 rear axles for a pair off Dana 44's with 4.10 gears and lockers front and rear.

Depending on what options I can find for reasonable cost, I will be replacing the transmission as well. I have looking into rebulding it, and it is easier (and cheaper) to find a nice low mileage one (Chrysler 3 speed auto), give it a flush and service, and replace it. The engine does use the same bell housing as most GM transmissions from what I am told, so the option is there to put a 4 speed Chevy there instead, but this of course would cause a lot of more headaches.

Well, let me know what you think. It should be a fun project, and will show a HUGE improvement in the Jeep.

Also, if anyone is free come april, and wants to help me drop it in, I would not push away the help

Comments, suggestions, free beer to get rid of my new headache??

sound like you've got yourself a plan there... i wish you the best on it

Back