need help identifing hose on fron differential

raser13

hey guys, new here and new to jeeps. i just bought a '77 jeep CJ-5 that originally had a 304 in it and some one in the history converted it for a ford 302. as far as i know the rest is stock.

on to the issue, is all i've ever worked on is cars and i've never seen a hose coming out of a differential before. so what would this hose on the front differential have originally gone to?

jeep14-1.jpg

thanks for your help

It's a vent hose. A rubber hose slides on over it and goes up inside the inner fender with a valve to keep the crap out.

so to do it right i need to get a new length of hose, run it into the fender and just put a one way check valve on the end?? sounds to easy. but cool thanks for the info.

Yes a vent hose. Actually their was no hose originally, there was just a one way check valve there to vent the axle presure. when you cross deep water the check valve would not allow water to enter your axle, but they often failed so people would take off the check valve and install a hose and run it to a high spot on the jeep to keep water out and still vent the axle. Your rear axle and tcase will have one as well.

thanks for the info. i'll have to look for the other spots and hook them up right also.

Back