Need help to tune stock carb on 258

RSTurney

This is an old style carburetor, single barrel, float chamber, with an adjustable dial for ? - it moves the butterfly valve to different settings. After I replaced the fuel pump which failed 280 miles from home in the Alaskan back country...had to gravity feed the carb to get out to the highway system 43 miles on rough trails. I think she's runnin' rich because the engine sputteres and stalls when I tried to accelerate, ran great before the pump got replaced. I wanted to clean the engine to check for oil leaks, but managed to get stuff too wet - now won't start. I dried the inside of the distributor cap, shook the spark plug wires out one a a time...

ideas?

I have replaced some vacuum lines, but the intake PCV valves is worn out and loose - will replace that along with the air filter. She has a brand new fuel filter also.

OK, so fuel pump died and you limped her home on a gravity supply. Tried to spray off and now a no start?

The carb is super super easy to rebuild if you are worried about that. Rebuild kits come with instructions. The dial is for adjusting the choke.

I would recheck that the spark plug wires are on in the correct sequence and pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is good. Make sure the button on the top inside of the cap is good also. Then I would get a vacuum gage and set your timing and carb using that.

If it doesn't run from there, report back.

Google using a vacuum gage to set time and to set a carb. Gage is about 20 bucks from auto parts places

Back