Need help with carb adjustment

hoyt4elk

Does anyone know the stock setting for the air/fuel screws on a Carter BBD with a stepper motor? Can't seem to get it adjusted right after the carb rebuild. And yeah, I know it would be better to replace the carb with a Motorcraft or something, but already put a lot of $$$$ into just getting the Jeep to run, and don't have the finances right now to get a new carb. :lol: Thanks!!!

Start by gently turning the screws in until they seat. DO NOT CRANK ON THEM.
Back each screw out 3-1/2 turns as a starting point.
Then adjust as you normally would by turning 1 at a time inward(clockwise) until the engine begins to stumble then back it out gradually until the RPM increases .as it reaches a point where the idle remains at a steady RPM then at that point back it out an additional 1/2 turn.
Proceed to repeat this process with the second screw adjuster.
Hope this helps.
It is impotrant that you do this with a warm engine,choke wide open,and dont forget your fast idle adjuster as well that it is not engaged.

Then adjust as you normally would by turning 1 at a time inward(clockwise) until the engine begins to stumble then back it out gradually until the RPM increases .as it reaches a point where the idle remains at a steady RPM then at that point back it out an additional 1/2 turn.
Hope this helps.
It is impotrant that you do this with a warm engine,choke wide open,and dont forget your fast idle adjuster as well that it is not engaged.
Thank you!!! I'll give it a try!!

elevatorman said:
Hope this helps.

Would you only apply this to Carter carbs? Cuz I have a Edelbrock that isnt acting right.

An edelbrock will never act right. I ran three never again Holley all the way. Way better response. Use a vaccum guage to set it up. Back them out equally till vacumn drops then go in slightly.

Back