Need some advice

Trailmaster

I'm building up my 99 tj, it has a 4" procomp lift and 33's everything else is stock, 4.0l , 5 speed. It's my daily driver, hunting/trail rig, so basically my do everything vehicle. I would like to go up to 35's , with lockers front and rear, thinking arb or e lockers, I would like to find a 241or for the 4:1. I know the axles can't really take this stock, do should I go with a super 35 in the rear, find a rubi 44, or go to a ford 8.8? The front I think I would be ok to go with cromo shafts, or do I go rubi 44 up front as well, or if I go 44's front and rear look for a set from a jk? What do you guys think? It's not a hard core wheeler up its sees it's share of action. Oh and I would re gear to 4.88's for the 35's.

Oh I need to get bumpers and sliders as well:)

Attachments

• image-1547417308.jpg
    image-1547417308.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 188
I would try and hunt down rubicon axles from a TJ. Both 44s and lockers already installed. If yer not going to wheel hard or beat on it go with the super 35 and regear what you got.

I will suggest avoiding the tj rubicon D44 front all together. it's a over priced axle with little to no gains over a D30. the rubi D44 is basically a D30 with a 30 spline D44 ring gear and carrier. Same u-joints, same axle shafts. and most D30 shafts do not shear at the splines, they break at the u-joint. The JK rubicon D44 on the other hand is built to be more of a true D44 but still has unit bearings which I personally am not a fan of, but for what you decribed, should be fine.

Definately get rid of the rear axle, do not even bother with a super 35 kit, it does absolutely nothing to address the short comings of the D35. thin weak tubes, small ring and pinion, c-clip shafts.

If I were you, I would look for a HP D30 from a 96 XJ for the front and a D44 from a TJ for the rear. Both axles will bolt in, re-gear them and some chromoly shafts.

I'm up in Canada and most places here like to screw us on prices, found a 8.8 but the want $500, I might have one for less then half, if I can get it I will go 8.8 rear then beef up the d30, I wish I could do my own gears most places want close to a grand to put a set in.

Back