Need transmission advice

sjo426

I know the transmission questions never stop but....
I just got back from my first wheelin trip and my T150's first gear is just not low enough. Now I am looking for what are the best options. I do have a brand new World Class T5 transmission stuck to a Dana 300 T/C. But will it bolt up to my 304? If not what transmission will bolt to my 304 as well as my Dana 300 which will be strong enough for a V8 as well as have a low first gear?

While I normally wouldn't recommend a T5 for anything other than a resto or a daily driver......1. The gear ratios are nice, 2. The "World Class" adds a decent amount of load capacity to it compared to a regular T5, and 3. You already have it!

There is no question about it. Compared to the T-150/D20 combo, I would take the WC T5/D300 anyday. The torque capacity is about the same but the T5/D300 has soooooo much better gearing.......PLUS an overdrive. Parts availability will be better too.

You'll need a new bellhousing. Your T-150 bellhousing uses the Ford "butterfly" bolt pattern on the case side, so the T5 won't bolt up. The T5 was an option on later CJs though, so the swap shouldn't be that difficult or costly.

Thanks for the info. I have very little experience in swapping or modiying so I hope my question don't sound dumb. I do have the original bell housing that the T5 will bolt up to. But will it bolt up to the engine?

The bellhousing bolt patterns between the AMC V8s and sixes are the same, so transmissions/bellhousings will swap around behind those engines easily. That bolt pattern is exclusive to those engines though, so if the bellhousing came from behind any other engine it will require an adapter.

The bell housing I have came off of a 258 out of a 84 CJ7. So it sounds like everything should line up. Right? Thanks again for the info!! You have made my research and decision making that much easier.

Without a doubt the WC T5 is not my first choice, but since I have one already and like everyone else I am on a budget I think it will be worth it.

there were a bazillion different verisons of the t-18 varying from input shafts to bellhousing to bearing retainers.

there were a bazillion different verisons of the t-18 varying from input shafts to bellhousing to bearing retainers. personally i like my np435 but to each his own, the 435 is easy to find, recently new compared to a lot of transmission's and has the second lowest first gear next to the sm420.

Back