new guage now it wont start!!!

95yj

hi,just put on a new water temp gaugein my 95 yj/4.0 ,it came with a new temp. sensor ,all i did was unplug the two wires going into the thermostat housing ,and put the new sensor in,was i not supposed to unplug those wires?now the dang thing wont turn over ,anyone got any ideas?

Hi,

Some jeeps have two temp sensors, one for the gauge in the dash board, and the other for use by the vehicle computer.

Maybe you replaced the wrong sensor which the computer doesn't understand? Though, i doubt that would cause it to not start. :?

-Nick :!:

?? I know this might sound really stupid but, did you accidently bump something? Maybe you hit another sensor with your elbow? or perhaps something completely un-associated is wrong as well.

TJ flares on a CJ7

in my chiltons manual,it says theres 1 sensor on the 4.0 engine and 2 sensors on the 2.5l engine ,i dont get it ,im baffeled

It won't turn over at all? Even if by some unfortunate chance you shorted the wires and fried the computer it would at least turn over. Check your battery cables, starter, etc and make sure it's in park.

itll start now but it is acting like its cold wen it runs ,it turns a couple of times and then starts,the rpms idle at 1000 instead of 700,but the new gauge says it is at operating temp!

Back