New Guy Looking for Good info

Keith__C

Hello Everyone. I am new to the list and would like to introduce myself. My name is Keith and I have a 79 CJ7 that I picked up recently. i've always been partial to Fords and Have 2 79 Broncos, an 89 Bronco and 86 and a 97 F-150. I've always done most of my wheeling in a fullsize rig but am looking forward to experiencing some of the trails that require smaller rigs as well now that I ahve picked up my 7. It currently has a 304 with a 3 speed and a Dana 20 transfercase, The stock narrowtrack axles with a 4" lift and 35" tires. The engine just dies on me the other day and will not start again, That is OK since the Jeep smoked like crazy and burned oil like it was going out of style. I have decided not to rebuild the 304. Not because I don't like it, the Motor is peppy, sounds good and has good low end torque, But because of the parts availabilty for these motors. Basic parts for these have become special order items at almost every parts house around me and if I break somethign I want to be able to get the part to fix it quickly. I am going to swap in a propane fed stroked 396 CI Windsor with a T18. I am also debating on swapping in some fullsized axles I have my choice of either a Ford 8.8 from an 89 Bronco or a Dana 60 from a late 70's F-250. I also have a high pinion Dana 44 from from a 79 Bronco that I can use as a 5-lug axle or convert it to an 8-lug axle to match the dana 60. A Ford front axle would make life simpler for me as I could simply use a Ford Transfercase and not have to mess around with an adapter. Would like to hear some positive feedback from others who may have done a similar swap with tips/tricks. Thanks and Happy Wheeling to all.

Back