New Process 231 Transfer Case Rebuild (should we try this at

bigbrowndog

We just bought a 93 ZJ real cheap. Needs AC pump and need to have the transfer case rebuilt. When we checked the transfer case, it was bone dry. When we put it in 4WD, it makes snapping sounds. Appears that the chain is stretched, banging against the casing, and slipping.

We pulled the transfer case last evening. Not as hard as I would think. Used to the old cast iron models of the old days and the aluminum casings sure do make this alot easier.

I am ready to split the casing to take a better look, but have one bolt at the top of the case that looks like a 10MM star socket. Is this a special socket or just a socket with more shoulders/teeth on it?

Also, does anyone know if you can buy a rebuild kit for these (and where), or is there a book on rebuilds. I am half tempted to "try this at home". Any suggestions otherwise?

Thanks in advance

Ty[addsig]

1)I am positive they sell a rebuilt kit but who I am not sure....

2)Yes their is a book on rebuilding

check out Ebay or type in the search area and surf the web
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Well, we cracked open the casing. The chain is pretty stretched and drags on the bottom of the case when not under tension. It is so loose it tries to bind up on itself and this may be part of the problem....but I have also been told it could be the viscous coupler.

That said, my trusty Haynes manual does not show a viscous coupler. There is a drum shaped unit at the front of the mainshaft, but Haynes calls this the low range gear. Which is correct and which do you all think would cause the big clunks when we turned the wheels?

Anyway, we found a rebuild kit for $109 online and a replacement chain for $62. My 16 year old and I are having a good time so far, and if you can help out with some expert advice, we would certainly appreciate it. With costs to buy a rebuild around $800, we can certainly save a ton of money doing it ourselves (even if it takes several times !!)

Thanks in advance.

Ty
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back