New Rims 15 or 16"?

ATHiker

I currently have 2.5 lift with a set of 31” Goodyear MTR’s on factory 15 Grizzly rims. Thought they would be OK when I got them but now I am looking into a new set of 10" wide rims and 33” tires. Question? Should I, or can I put 16 inch rims on my 2000 Sport or are you stuck with 15” rims? Any advantages to the 16” rims over 15” since 16 is now standard on Rubicon’s. I also am looking at rims with fake bead lock and backspacing so I can get rid of the wheel spacers. I am not worried about the speedo reading. Any advice on the rims’ Thanks

Ya, you can put 16" rims on there. The only problems is that there are less tires available, and you loose that much in sidewall height.

10" is a WIDE wheel in my opinion though

You're losing tire bulge the bigger you go.

Tire bulge is good for 2 things
1. bigger footprint
2. protecting rims against scrapes.

15x8's should be fine.

The advantage of a 15" wheel would be that the same size tire would have a slightly bigger sidewall (1/2" around the circumference of the tire), which would wrap rocks better when aired down. I don't know if it would be very noticeable, and it may depend on tire choice, but the larger sidewall may be more forgiving on bumps.

The advantage of a 16" would be a much bigger selection as to tire size. Check out the tires size options of any tire from BFG to Interco (Swamper). You would also have less sidewall which is more stable upon turning. When airing down you may have started with 1/2" less sidewall than a 15, but you'll lose less ride height.

The size of the sidewall depends on the tire size. It measures what it measures. Saying it would be wider or have a larger foortprint on a 15 is not necessarily true.

New model tires are going to increasingly have more choices in the 16" variety over the 15". Not many new trucks or Jeeps for that matter have 15" wheels anymore.

If the standard 33x12.50x15 suits you then stick with a 15. If you want a true 33" tire and have some choices as to the width then look into a 16" wheel.

Really the best way to decide is to find the perfect tire size for you Jeep and the amount of lift on it and go from there. :wink:

I have 16" wheels on my XJ and would make the same choice again.

TwistedCopper said:
Saying it would be wider or have a larger foortprint on a 15 is not necessarily true.

I think dick-wilderness was comparing an 8" wide wheel to a 10" wide wheel....not 15" vs. 16".

88Wrangles said:
TwistedCopper said:
Saying it would be wider or have a larger foortprint on a 15 is not necessarily true.

I think fuzzy bunny-wilderness was comparing an 8" wide wheel to a 10" wide wheel....not 15" vs. 16".

Ahhh, I see that now. Yeah he's right about that... I wouldn't go with a 10" for a 12.50 tire. Less ride height, easier to pop a bead on a trail...

I wouldn't go with a 10" for a 12.50 tire. Less ride height, easier to pop a bead on a trail

If you guys are running low enough pressures that you keep slipping beads with the tens, you need beadlocks. The difference between them and the 8" wheels is only a couple of psi. Of course the bead lip design on the rim matters too. I usually stay above 10-12psi and have no trouble with losing beads. Your ride height on those 8" wheels isn't any higher after you drop the pressure enough to get the same footprint you have with the 10" wheels. The wider rims will allow the tire tread to conform at higher pressures because it's laying flat and not bulging out. The wider rim will allow you to run higher pressure on the street while maintaining a proper footprint, which translates into reduced tread killing heat and more gas mileage.

Would you really run 8" wide wheels with a bias ply 38x12.50 Swamper TSL?.....on a street driven rig?

With tires up to 33", and radials up to 35", it really isn't that big of a difference either way. Run whatever you feel better with. I just like arguing about it. :lol:

Back