New to here

84cjseven4.9l

New to the forum thing, thats why my pics are sometimes upside down lol

Anyways i drive a 1984 cj7 with a ford 4.9l inline 6 swapped in with the NP435 transmission and a dana 300 tcase, just got it street able today and that things got some seat of the pants torque long tube headers by Hedman headers and the offy dual port intake, im running the Holley truck avenger 470 4 barrel and so far its been a peach,

I've attached some pics of it, still a major work in progress but you guys out there in radio land tell me what you think and maybe it'll help me alittle and if not then oh well life goes on. Thanks

Attachments

• image-1842536940.jpg
    image-1842536940.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 157
  • image-3912965436.jpg
    image-3912965436.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image-4248420396.jpg
    image-4248420396.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 100
If you don't already have them, I would look into a set of one piece axles for your rear AMC20 axle. The stock AMC20 has two piece axles, the hub is held onto the axle shaft with a wooddrift key and a big nut, you can see the big nut on the end of the axle shaft if you look at the center of your rear wheels. That nut can loosen or the key can get sheered off and the axle shaft will just spin inside the hub and you will be stranded. I have had this happen in the past just driving on the street. With the power and torque you have I would highly recommend this upgrade. The one-piece kits run about 200-300 dollars. Oh, Welcome to the site

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking rig. That 4.9 must have been a bear to fit into your jeep. I thought of doing tat before i built my stroker. I even had the enging but couldn't figure out how to get it all in there.

If you don't already have them, I would look into a set of one piece axles for your rear AMC20 axle. The stock AMC20 has two piece axles, the hub is held onto the axle shaft with a wooddrift key and a big nut, you can see the big nut on the end of the axle shaft if you look at the center of your rear wheels. That nut can loosen or the key can get sheered off and the axle shaft will just spin inside the hub and you will be stranded. I have had this happen in the past just driving on the street. With the power and torque you have I would highly recommend this upgrade. The one-piece kits run about 200-300 dollars. Oh, Welcome to the site

How strong are the single piece ones? And are they worth not upgrading to a 44?

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking rig. That 4.9 must have been a bear to fit into your jeep. I thought of doing tat before i built my stroker. I even had the enging but couldn't figure out how to get it all in there.

Idk how hard it was to put in, thats how I bought it, but all the bolt ons are pretty damn snug lol my heady reaches all the way back to my tcase

How strong are the single piece ones? And are they worth not upgrading to a 44?

Some say keep the 20, but the axle tubes are not the best and even with a Yukon single axle shaft upgrade your better off going to a Dana 44. The ring and pinion are stronger in a 44 and the bearing lands are wider.

Also im about to do the SOA conversion but im not buying a kit because.. Well.. Merica. I need to clear 35s because it has the np 435 and 4.35 gears so top speed is 45 at 4500 Rpms lol

The ring and pinion on the AMC model 20 is actually larger than a dana 44, and for this reason some argue that the 20 with one piece axle shafts is as strong or stronger than a 44, I don't know. I have had the one piece kit on a AMC20 with a lockrite locker, 33x15.50 swamper SX tires and wheeled the snot out if it hard with no problems at all. I had to replace wheel bearings and u-joints in the front often, but never had a problem with my AMC20. I think a 44 may or may not be a better option but you would have to move the spring perches and find one that matches the gear ratio of the front axle. may not be worth the cost and effort, but if you had to change the front axle then I may consider swaping both front and rear to 44,s

Back