New to Jeep

lognhornd

RE: Trade the CJ for a Rubi??

For my first post I have a question of course. My old accord finally died and Im ready to drive a Jeep. Ive found one going for auction, 1987 cherokee pioneer 4.0 4x4 with 207000. I know thats alot of miles but thats pretty much the kind of vehicle I deal with. I have heard that the I6 has quite a reputation for reliability and thats why Im interested. Being Jeep owners what do you think of the reliability and life a jeep? Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Here is the URL of a pic. I appreciate your patience with lack of an actual link.
http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc004601da.jpg

Welcome to Jeepz.com!! Not a bad looking ride for the year and miles. You're correct that the I6 is a very reliable engine and is known for it's longevity. Of course, as you probably know, it all depends on how it was treated over those 207K miles as to whether it's worth buying or not. Check it out thoroughly before signing the papers. Personally, I'm a SWB Jeep fan and most likely will never own anything but a Wrangler or CJ, but if Cherokees float your boat that's cool. Lots of folks here at the "Z" drive'em and wheel'em hard. Very capable off-road grocery getters!!! Let us know what you decide. Whether you get it or not, stick around, we're always glad to have new members, and the gang here is the greatest on the net! Lots and lots of knowledge gets passed around here, always something to learn.

So, where ya from and whaddaya do? Wife? Kids? Pets? Any experience in 4-wheeling? Interests? Tell us more!!

As far as 4-wheeling I went with my neighbors in their cherokee as a kid for light stuff like mostly sand, but I am interested in getting into it more now. Im currently a broke college student at FSU in Tallahassee, FL. I stay pretty busy with school and work, and like to just relax with my free time. I wish I could have a dog but it makes finding an apartment around school more difficult and its another mouth to feed. Ive been into cars since middle school. In high school I was into imports but I quickly grew out of that and off-road trucks look very interesting to me now.

As far as checking the jeep out thoroughly the auction rules are that you can basically start, rev, examine the car but not move it. So I check them out 2 weeks in advance and look for oil drips, I pull carfax on everyone and pay close attention. When auction day comes I make sure it starts, listen to it for taps and put it into gear just to make sure it goes into gear. Then I will at least know whether it drives because they drive it up to the auctioneer. I know this isnt the best way to buy a car but I have done it before and made out, as it saves lots of money when done carefully. The other 2 vehicles I am interested in are an 87 mazda truck with a small lift and an 85 wagoneer with the 2.8 v6. The wagoneer has at least 96,000 miles but is odometer exempt. The mazda has 212000 miles. Picture links at bottom. You guys could probably offer some insight from your off-roading experience. The car will mainly be a daily driver. Once again I appreciate any advice.
http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc004788ml.jpg
http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc004706fh.jpg

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Goin

You definately don't want that 2.8L. Mazda mad a pretty reliable little truck back then but when all is said and done, you'll have a Mazda :(

I'd look it over real well like Sparky said. Check the oil level and condition, look for rust underneath, and if you can - fire it up. If all else is good, and it doesn't smoke or idle rough, and it seems quiet it may be worthwhile.

Let us know how you make out and welcome to Jeepz !

RE: Trade the CJ for a Rubi??

Most of the 4.0L Jeeps I see at the junkyards have anywhere from 140,000-250,000 miles. But then again none of them look like they have been taken care of. My 4.2L bit the dust at about 180,000 miles, but had serious carburetor problems that led to this. If it has 207,000 miles, like Sparky-Watts and TwistedCopper said, inspect it closely. Don't be afraid to say no, but then again, it may be a good Jeep to get. The 4.0L engines often do endure very high mileages. Oh and the manual trannies from that year suck.

im going to have to reiderate(sp) what TC sead. them V6's are huge piles of pooooooo. the body looks real nice (concidering) what do you supose the bidding will start at. i wouldnt go far over 1500, but thats me (always looking for something for free or close to lol).

RE: Wanna feel smarter?

it should start at a few hundred and i dont expect it to get over 1500 with all those miles.

RE: YJ STUFF

Firstly, welcome to Jeepz! I love this part; new jeep buying makes me happy :)

So... Regarding this Jeep... The I-6 is a very reliable engine, but it does have a few eccentric quirks that might normally turn someone off of buying one, but are acceptable for normal operation of the engine... And trust me, I'm not gonna pull a "me and my brother" (OMG, look at the condition of the body and interior, we have to get it... wonder if it runs...) :lol:

Oil Leak. The rear main seal in these engines are notorious for leaking; I don't personally know anyone whose is not... It would be nice for them not to, but they like to seep a little bit of oil, they're replacable, they stop leaking, but they can start up again, flawed design, I guess... They seep so little between oil changes that until mine gets bad, I'm letting it ride; don't have the cash to do that anyway...

Knocking. More of a tapping really, 2 reasons. These engines are prone to a little valve tapping, again, every I-6 I've worked with does it. If it's not a devestatingly loud clacking noise, and performance is good, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, the exhaust manifolds on those like to gently split, also making a tapping noise...

Clunk. Depending on your rear axle, it may clunk in the rear end when you put it into gear. Again, normal, I think it's the Chrysler 8.25 that's prone to this...

Jeep are very reliable vehicles. Let me put it to you this way with the three that I always have to maintain (and I'm not a mechanic by any means, all my friends and family just like to think I am :lol: )

My Jeep: 2000 XJ Sport, 93,000 miles (60,000 put on in my 3 years of ownership). Daily Driver. Mudding crazy hardcore all the time. Sucked a goodly amount of water into the engine (you could have watered the lawn with what came out the exhaust). Have not had the time or money to do an oil change yet (soon, I know, BAD BAD!!! :shock: )... But it starts and runs like a peach every day.

Ben's Jeep: 1995 XJ Sport, 140,000 miles. Daily Driver. Backcountry trails and moderate mud (no tow points). Mom incinerated the engine by driving about 30 miles home with no coolant (blown out radiator)... Cooked the block. New block installed (head and everything else are original). Starts and runs like it's right off the showroom floor.

Kyle's Jeep: 1986 AMC Grand Wagoneer (full size), 125,000 miles. Daily Driver. Recently bought, no wheeling yet. Original AMC 360 V-8. Jeep and engine are 19 years old, bought used off some little lot, knew nothing about it. Starts and fires right up every time it's asked to do so, he drove it 4 hours up north no problems...

to contrast...

Mom's Old Van: 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan, 60,000 miles. Massive oil leak, transmission slipping and grinding, hell of an engine knock, check engine light threw at least three times a day, and the air conditioning compressor was shot.

My point is that Jeep are strong, well built vehicles, for the most part. Any vehicle can and will break over time, but if you saw how I drive my Jeep, the fact that that poor beast even starts in the morning is saying something. Regular oil and filter changes are key to happy Jeep. If you wheel, yes, parts break, but on my little stocker, the only "major" repair that I have had to deal with was a new alternator because I filled and shorted out the old one with mud...

Best of luck, hope the Jeep works out for you :)

Allrighty ::cracks fingers::

Hey everyone,
I'm really new to Jeeps to and I'm although not financially ready to buy one yet, I'd like to get as much info as I can about jeeps. I've loved Jeeps since I was a kid, now Im 19 and leaving for college but hoping to save up a couple thousand along the way for a Wrangler. I'm a female so I dont know anything at all about cars, except they have engines and pistons and stuff, so any info would be really helpful. thanks

RE: I know Jack Schitt!

WOW! That is going to be VERY helpful. All of those things could turn other buyers off and bring the price down. THANX Saurian

So today was the auction and I am the proud new owner of an 88 cherokee pioneer. The title still says its an AMC and not Jeep, thats old. After a good cleaning of some greenish stuff on the vinyl and a good tune up we'll see what she's like. I took a short grassy trail to see if the 4x4 worked and so far so good. For $1500 Im proud to own it.

RE: yj hardtop

Awesome! Glad to hear that it worked out for you... Is it running happy and all that?

Some XJ parts, and AX5 part for external clutch slave swap

Its running good, Starts hard but tomorrow its getting new plugs, wires, oil, oil/airfilter. That should help. Transmission gives bit of a kick after shifting occassionally, does anyone have suggestions for driving in power or comfort in a high milaege jeep. I just remember my neighbor always drove his in power. Yeah the pocket draining is starting, I just spent $150 on manuals and tuneup/cleanup to do tomorrow.

RE: SCORE: Jeep--3; Other Vehicles--0

Congrats on the new jeep! Sounds like a good buy to me. The Xj's I drove jerked a bit when they shifted but I got used to it. Seams like you have it covered now changing fluids, plugs, ect. Goodluck and welcome to jeepz!

H2 Bashing

Saurian said:
No prob... I don't claim to know everything, but I can be disturbingly observant :shock:

lol I would have to agree Sarurian.

Back