new to the jeep scene

Garyk

Just bought a 78 CJ7, which has been trashed. Planning a complete rebuild ftame up. Parts are not as easy to get here as in the US, neither is advice. Any help with advice or tips would be great. Will post pics soon

ask away!! we got tons of guys who can answer questions for you on here

welcome to the sight

ask away!! we got tons of guys who can answer questions for you on here

welcome to the sight
Cool, first off I need to know the size of the bolts on the front leaf springs so that I can fetch the rig using an a frame. It has no bumper in front and the seller is a widow who does not know what I am talking about. I have an a frame draw bar but do not know the length or thickness of bolts to take with.

the ones for the leaf spring shackle to the frame? we'll have to wait for a cj guy to show up for that one.

Just went out and looked at mine. Its a 3/8" bolt with 9/16 head.

Anybody know how to dismantle the front drive assembly? I think I can but any tips would help. I have already removed the brake disks and wheel bearing, stuck on the UJ

You take off the spindle(that the bearings ride on, should be 6 bolts) and take off the backing plate, and if I remember correct the axle shaft will slide out. I think the backing plate bolts are on the back side.

No, the ujoint and whole shaft should slide out through the knuckle. Its a tight fit but should slide right through. You will probably have to take a chisle or screw driver with a hammer and tap the spindle off.

Thanks for the advice. I got the spindle off easy enough, made a tool to loosen it without damage. I will try slide it out through as you suggest.

Back