New toy!!!

carnut1313

What's up guys,

I am new to this forum, but you guys seem to have a lot of the answers.

Anyways, I just bought a '97 XJ and i was wondering how to tell what type of axles i have. Thought maybe you guys could point me in the right direction. I am going to put the rough country 6.5" lift on. Any advice on whether or not that lift is a good one. Or maybe even some other lifts you guys recomend. I plan on making this XJ for rock crawling...just to give you an idea of where i am going with this. Thanks a mil...

Chris:shock:

on my '00 XJ i have a D30 up front and a chrysler 8.25 in the rear. More than likley you have a D30 in the front. I was wondering the same thing about my rear. Good ole people here told me that if it was a 8.25 it would have a tag on the axle tube on the passenger side, should tell you what model and gear ratio.

I'm pretty sure you'll have a D-30 in the front, the rear could be the D-35 or the Chrysler 8.25, the Chrysler being the stronger of the two... I went up to a local dealership and had them run the VIN to tell me exactly what it was, by that point, I had been under the Jeep way too much already working on it to bother checking what kind of axle it had... :D

if you have a 97+ it's probably an HP30, which is stronger than an LP30 by a bit. also, what size tires are you planning on running? 6.5" would allow, 33s easy, 34-35s with some trimming. i only ask because if you get up into the latter range, your axles and gearing will be next to useless anyways. unless you like replacing broken shafts and ujoints all the time.

I plan on running 33's at first, but i will be going up to 35's. I know that i will have to up my gearing as well. That is also in the future. But thanks for your help guys, now i just need to sell my CJ7 so i can get more play money for the XJ.

Sorry for the late reply.

If you are on a short-arm budget, I would not go more than 4.5", as even those ride a little hard. Rubicon Express for a short arm kit, Full Traction or T&T Customs for a long arm kit. Lots of other good kits out there but you asked.

IF you do run the 6.5" short arm kit you could always upgrade to long arms later, but you will see what I meant about the ride.

Back