New Wheel Suggestions

millerofmadison

I've had my 80 CJ7 for a couple of months. The Jeep has new wheels (American Racing Chrome Nitro, 16x8 ) and tires (265/75/16), but I need different wheels because these cause the tires to rub on the leaf spring when I make a hard turn (sometimes just trying to turn into a parking space).

The wheels have 4.25" backspacing according to my measurements (though AR website says 4.5") so I know I need less BS (maybe 3.25?), but for a 16" wheel it seems my options are few. Added to my frustration is that so many companies only list offset on their wheels and not BS. I talked with a rep from DiscountTireDirect who said that some of their 16x8 with -6BS "should fit" without rubbing, but I want to know for certain!

I don't want spacers. And I don't want to have to buy new tires right now, so I'm staying with 16" wheels.

So I need some wheel suggestions from you who have 16s on your CJ7 (stock front axle). What wheel make, size, and backspacing are you running that doesn't rub when you make a turn? I need newer wheels that are available now (not discontinued).

I have not used 16,s as factory rims are 15,s. BUT, I had 15x8" wheels with 33x12.50 tires and they rubbed bad at full turn. I went to a 15x10" (standard bs,ing) wheel and no more problem. You could go to a 16x10" instead of 8". I popped a tire on my disconnected swaybar link while turning shaply off road with the 8", didnt have any issues after going to the 10" rims.

I have not used 16,s as factory rims are 15,s. BUT, I had 15x8" wheels with 33x12.50 tires and they rubbed bad at full turn. I went to a 15x10" (standard bs,ing) wheel and no more problem. You could go to a 16x10" instead of 8". I popped a tire on my disconnected swaybar link while turning shaply off road with the 8", didnt have any issues after going to the 10" rims.

I not an expert by any means with tires and rims, but I would agree, this is solid, sensible advice!

Back