New wheels

judge09

Well we just bought a house here in south FL and if anyone is following realestate trends you know its EXPENSIVE. Esspecially compared to upstate NY. So the new jeep is out and I am keeping the grand cherokee a while. Its in pretty good condition but it needs new wheels the winters up north and all the salt pitted the alloys pretty good. I am not rocking 26s or anything...17-18 something like that. I am thinking black rim on a black grand cherokee. What do you all think? Chrome maybe?

judge09 said:
Well we just bought a house here in south FL and if anyone is following realestate trends you know its EXPENSIVE.

Yup. Should be listing a house in about 2 weeks and we are soooo looking forward to it :)

RE: Re: New wheels

Some glossy black 17s would look nice. The prices aren't outrageous for that diameter and there are a ton of rim designs to choose from. You've also got alot of tire options for a 17" rim.

Another consideration with the big rims is weight. While it's not a dramatic amount of weight to add to a vehicle, it's unsprung weight....... or dead weight. I bet the average set of 24" full face aluminum rims and low profile tires weighs as much as a set of 35" Boggers mounted on some steel rockcrawlers.

Pay special attention to the backspacing with the 17" and larger rims. None would fit our 79 CJ project properly, so I had to spring for a set of spacers. LBR

RE: YJ TRAILER PICS

Black would be cool. They make black wheels in all sizes...

Junkpile's right thought, big wheels weigh a LOT!!

RE: CB/PA install

mud4feet said:
Please, no "spinnah's"..............please, please, please! :lol: :lol:

Dang, there goes my idea for a Christmas present for ya, mud!! :lol:

Re: RE: Stupid ground hog

Is sanding and painting your wheels an option?

If not, there are a couple things, you could search the want ads for the factory 5 star chrome 17's, they look real sharp.

RE: Re: Holy fender overkill Batman!!

Yeah I am thinking 17s and a glossy black. This is just my DD jeep. She doesnt see much offroad besides a little field driving.

RE: Re: RE: Re: New wheels

jps4jeep said:
Is sanding and painting your wheels an option?

If not, there are a couple things, you could search the want ads for the factory 5 star chrome 17's, they look real sharp.

I have been thinking about sanding out the pitting but I am worried I am going to cause a whole bunch of balance issues.

Re: 318 carb?

Acetone to get the clearcoat off and a wire wheel for the pits. VHT wheel paint and you're wheels will look good. I've done it, that paint holds up great even after many mudholes.

Re: RE: Vent and 4x4 light do not work.

TwistedCopper said:
Acetone to get the clearcoat off and a wire wheel for the pits. VHT wheel paint and you're wheels will look good. I've done it, that paint holds up great even after many mudholes.

Did you do it on alloys or steel rims? I think I might as well give it a try before spending some bucks.

Back