Newbie to JEEPZ.com

jeepboy45

Hi everyone...this turned out to be longer than I had intended. I give you credit if you make it to the end....LOL

My Jeep history is as follows: (short version)

I didnt know it at the time, but owning a Jeep is similar to owning a Harley....If you want to own one, you need to know how to work on one!

I bought my 79 CJ7 used in 1986 right out of high school. Rear main went out 2 days after the 30 day warranty ran out. Newbie me spent $380+ on engine bearings/rear main.... That wont happen again!!

I rebuilt the 304 a year or so after. Around 1997 I started a 2 year body off, go-through-everything-rebuild. Had transmission (TH400) rebuilt by a "reputable" shop in DeLand Fl. Ripped out wiring and installed a new Centech wiring harness. Treated frame. ETC ETC

About a year + ago, swapped to a used 360 since I swore I'd never drop another penny into that &&^%$& 304 again ! (used running 304 sitting on a stand collecting dust) I havent done a whole lot to it lately UNTIL.....

Last Christmas the transmission went down...BAD. Hmmm only 32K on the transmission rebuild...So much for that reputable shop !!! (THANKS Pro-trans, DeLand fl)

I havent had time/money to fool with it till a few weeks ago. Figures, the weather is turning fantastic in Fla, and I have no Jeep to drive..
image-missing.png

Pulled out the transmission 2 weeks ago, and decided to ditch the radiator while I am getting dirty. Its about 15 yrs old, but has never really cooled well. Maybe due to the fact I have no radiator shroud, but I am determined to get an aluminum one with electric fan.

I just reset castor angle with shims 2 days ago, and will be doing tierod flip as soon as the parts arrive.

12 yrs ago, internet wasnt around much-- if any-- and I didnt have access to all the knowledge that we do today. So, over the next couple weeks I am hoping to tackle some other issues....

1) Alum radiator/fan install

2) Replace my sloppy PS box and considering a Durango PS box swap after reading a boatload of info over the last couple of days.

3) CRT HEI distributor

4) Ditching my third set of headers (various brands) and GOING BACK TO STOCK MANIFOLDS!!!! I cant wait to get them on, and be done with the recurring header leaks.... BTW: I have a set of dynomax headers with approx 10K on them sitting on a shelf collecting dust...

5) Rear disc conversion on my model 20

Hopefully I can help others on here with info on issues I have dealt with over the years for anyone that can use the experince..

AND possibly get valuable info from you as well...

Looking forward to interracting with all of you..
jeepboy45 (brian)

Hey! Welcome to Jeepz!

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

Welcome to the site. It's pretty cool what the internet has done for the restoration business.

Back