Nightmare tj :(

gtrmudy

I have a 98 Tj and it only has 98k miles. Since I bought it I've dumped a lot of time and money giving it tlc. It's got all new suspension parts and we've put a new stabilizer shock and drivers side front axle and axle joints both sides and hub assemblies sides and We've replaced all brake components at all four wheels and a tune up and radiator and water pump and header and tps and crank sensor and complete fluid flush and change throughout the whole jeep etc and now I have this awful whining screeching grind sound coming from somewhere upfront. It only starts once you take off it doesn't start when the jeep is sitting and idling. But when you come to a complete stop with the clutch in it goes away. Also it goes away after it warms up after about 3-4 miles down the road. But when you are slowing down or speeding up the sound doesn't slow down or speed up it stays constant. We have already ruled out the throw out bearing..... Help me figure it out We're running out of idea and pieces to replace :(

Last edited:

because it stays constant and if the clutch is in while just drifting like going down a hill or something that the throw out bearing isn't the Culprit because the noise doesn't change speeds and we jacked it up in rear and ran through the gears and no noise either from rear diff or transfer or transmission. But it could have been silent because it wasn't under a load!?!? Even thought maybe it's the dust shield rubbing back of rotor but the speed of noise would have changed, I bent that back out of the way and that's not it either. It's like a belt whine with a metallic sound to it. And only while the jeep is in motion.

We've checked all the obvious things like drive shaft and belt the belt is fine and the driveshafts have no play and it can't be idler pulley or alternator because the noise isn't there until the jeep starts rolling and if it were either of those it would start when the jeep starts.

Last edited:
is your alternator bearings going out? my alternator is heading out and it makes a horrible noise once i get above a certain rpm, about 1100, and then stops once i let off the gas.

i am now to the point though where my amps drop if turn the lights on so it is for sure the alternator. my cherokee did the same thing a few years back

It starts as soon as it starts rolling, not when the belt starts turning :( it seems to b consistant and not speed up or slow down with the Rpms. My alternator seems to be charging fine and when the hood is up the sound tend to sound like its coming from behind the motor or under it.

Is your fan making contact with the shroud? Do you have a broken motor mount?

I’m in Superj’s camp. My bet would be the belt, tensioner, or one of the pulleys with a bearing.
Belts will make noise until things warm up or get going when there is a problem.

No the fans not hitting anything and wouldn't those make noise from the moment things start up since the belt turns those pulleys the whole time the jeep is idling and and sitting still. This noise happens only when the jeep is moving.....

no, mine does the same thing and i know its the alternator because i keep dropping to 8v when i turn the lights on. it only squeels when i get above a certain rpm and cuts out when i let off the gas. it also does it now when i turn the lights on too so its getting closer and closer to kicking the bucket when completely

Mine does it only when rolling whether you are pushing the gas or not and once it's warm It goes away and I have no charging problems.

I have had the same "cat in the engine" screech recently. I assumed it was a lose belt. I tightened the tensioner pulley tonight. If it continues and my volts drop off I am going to have the alternator looked at...possible bearing issue in the alt?

possible. since you guys got newer jeeps then i have, also check your tensioner pulley bearing. on my cherokee, i had to change that thing a few times because the new ones would make noise out of the box.

put a screw driver on its housing put your ear on the other end. if its making a deep growling noise through the screw driver, the bearing is probably making your noise. if you just hear a rolling noise, like bearings spinning, its fine

Don't have ac

You have a mechanical cooling fan. Correct? That fan is mounted on a viscous clutch that when heated engages to fully draw the air through the radiator. When it starts to fail it may make a squealing noise.

Just one possibility

Is your heater on? I had the exact same problems, I even went through the hassle of replacing my alternator. If I start my Jeep without the heater on, everything goes away. I can't explain it, neither can the mechanics that looked at it.

Nope it does it whether things are on or off.

Attachments

• image-3630836189.png
    image-3630836189.png
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 307
Looks like your missing a passenger front tire.

And why are there 2 of the same posts on here?? Sometimes there is one and sometimes I see 2.

Yes I was missing a tire we were checking joints and hubs and brakes again for the umteenth time. And checking pulleys and drive shaft, and jacked up the rear again ran through the gears listening to the transmission. And I Dk why it posted twice, probably cut in and out of service and the iPhone app double posted it.

Back