now help BCHCKY choose a tire

bchcky

alright, everyone gave TC some good input, so i figured i'd get some input too. i'm getting 31x10.5's (r15). i'm trying to decide between the

kumho venture m/t
image-missing.png

or the dunlop radial mud rover
image-missing.png

the tread on each is nearly identical. the prices are about the same too, i have a friend that works at NTB that is going to match tirerack's price for me, down to the dollar, he's not going to charge me over for shipping at all. so thats awesome. and i also have 2 friends going to buy tires at the same time, so if we all buy 12 tires from him, he's going to most likely give us buy 3 get 1 free on each set. so my only thing is which tire to get. the price will be nearly identical give or take $10.

so i'm just wondering what everyone thought about the two tires. they will be used to commute for a little while longer on the highway, but after that mainly off road, and minimal city driving, my car stays parked other than that. i know they'll be noisy, so i'm not worried about that. i guess my main concern is which should last longer? (treadlife)

any input on the dunlops is greatly appreciated, i know a bunch of people who have or have had the kumho's, i'm just wondering how the dunlops compare to them. thanks for your help everyone :!: :!: :!:

I don't know a whole hell of a lot about the dunlop tires. But I know that Off Road tested the Kuhmo tires to death. And it was a testiment to the manufacturing process and design.

Check this first "luke warm" review:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/products/kumho/

And the follow-up column:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/products/kumho/index2.html

They tested the tires out for much longer and put them through much more abuse than first intended.

i know nothing about 'em..but they do look nice. if i had to pick just on looks i'd say dunlops.

1995 Wrangler

Kumho's !!!! I know I'm a repeat record but I love mine to death. There's a couple of us here with them that love them.

Lady :D

i run the dunlop radial rovers in 33's and they do me well in plenty of mud, my buddy runs the 35" dunlops on his ranger and he sees mud to his doors and ive gotten pulled out by a toy on 35" dunlops and another toy on 36" dunlops and i couldnt think better of them, the next set of tires i get is gonna be very similar to dunlops but recapped with a differnent outside lug stance, go for the dunlops

I've never heard bad things about either of those tires. I just looked at the two of them @ Tire Rack. For $1 less per tire, the Dunlop has a larger overall diameter (closer to actual size) and a deeper thread depth. This is true on every size listed for those 2 tires. I'd say the deeper tread would mean better traction. Go for Dunlop. More tire for the money.

What size are you looking at???

I don't know what route I'm going to go. I really like the BFG, and BF Goodrich still makes many of them here, but they're French owned :shock: :roll: :? :evil: . I'm just plain sick of looking. It'll be a few weeks until I have the time off to put the lift on, so I still have some time.

dont know anything about those.. i'll stick with my pirelli scorpions.. they glue themselves to the road in any weather, and do real good offroad too....

TC (or anyone else) where can i find more stats about tread height and all that stuff? tirerack doesnt seem to have a lot of specifics. i'd like to compare factual measurements of the tires. if the dunlops do indeed have a deeper tread, that makes me lean a bit more towards them. thanks for everyones input so far.

thanks TC! i guess i just didnt look hard enough. wow i'm leaning big time towards the dunlops now. they have a deeper tread. they're also rated for a 7-9" rim, whereas the kumho's are supposed to go on an 8.5" rim, if you wanna be all technical and stuff. the dunlops also have a larger overall diameter, however only by .4"

looks like the dunlops might be the winner! still open to any input though.

A wider tire on a smaller wheel makes it harder to pop off the bead. ( so I think? )
I have 285/75/16 on 8" wheels.

I run the Dunlops, would have gotten the Kumhos but they were backordered forever. I love the Dunlops, they are tough, sound good, perform great. The lugs are spaced wider on the Dunlops, so I think they may perform better in the mud than Kumhos, but after reading the test on the Kumhos, I was impressed.

TwistedCopper said:
I really like the BFG, and BF Goodrich still makes many of them here, but they're French owned :shock: :roll: :? :evil:

That alone is a good reason NEVER to go BF Goodrich. French owned??? Thanks for the warning. Jeez "French"? Panzies.~~~~

The same people that came up with the brilliant "Maginot Line"? Don't get me started. :lol:

bchcky said:
true...i guess in that respect there isnt a huge difference, but point well taken.

I don't know why they say that tire should go on an 8.5" wheel. That doesn't sound right at all. If it really is made for an 8.5", then putting it on a smaller 7" wheel will make the center of the tire wear faster, and possibly unevenly. I ran 32/11.50/15's on my stock 15x7 wheels, which worked well and wore from the middle out, but they were not "cupped" at all. I don't think you will have the same luck with a more aggressive tire (MT) and tire pressure and rotation will be even more of an issue. Both websites have the same spec.

The only thing other thing to consider is the dunlops may growl at you more (louder going down the road).

MINGEZ - Yeah, it really bummed be out. Even if they make the tire here I'd hate for a French anybody to get my money :wink: the Rat Bastages!

I did find out Pro Comp is made by Cooper, and Made in Usa. May have changed my view of them...

Back