Nutter Bypass, A good Read!!!

Dooch

8) I have many Jeeps in my possession, including an "89" Wrangler that I bought approx. 8 months ago.
She was in excellent condition for her age, and mileage, (340,000 Kilometers), Engine rebuilt, approx 100,000 Km., or 60,000 miles and the only computer controlled carb. unit that I own. Canadian Eh?
Last owner was not a mechanic, and had all emissions stuff hooked up ass backwards, including the EGR valve, which was activated as soon as the engine started.
I hooked all back up to specs, and still could not get her to run smoothly, and as well could not get her to pass Canadian Emission standards.
Installed rebuilt Feedback carb, EGR, and she just passed.
I lived with hard starting, bucking at low RPM's, sputtering, and stalling on takeoff, even when revving too much at takeoff.
Stupid Me!
I belong to many forums, and the one rule everyone needs to pay attention to is, Read!, Read!, Read!, and the answer will come!!!
Did a "Nutter Bypass" to the old girl, and she idles so smooth that you got to look at the tach to see if she is still running.
Torq and accel., so smooth that I can accellerate from 30 miles per hour in fourth gear without so much as a hiccup.
I have newer vehicles that don't respond as well.
Thank you Jeepz.com, and all who support this site.
I will follow, and recommend to all, this site for all info and Jeep Stuff, and hope that they will benefit as I have.:D

Hey Dooch,I am trying to help a good buddy get his 1990 yj 4.2 to run.
We have correctly replaced all vacuum lines plugs wires,distributor cap etc and have set the timing according to the smog info ie:fast idle speed,curb idle etc.. and this POS just wont run. We get a rough idle that eventually stalls out. It stalls when you turn the wheels,throw it into gear etc..It seems to be surging at all rpms so the distributor was checked for ecxessive play or wear,vac advance ok:???:
I have confirmed TDC checked all I can think of compression check leak down. I now say after reading as much as I can find that the carb is junk!!!
I would like to try this "nutter bypass" I asked my wife and she says her interpetation is to cut me off!
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. We are cal smog here.
I have tried to talk him into a FI conversion as my 95 2.5 just goes everywhere but he overpaid for this thing and doesnt want to go deeper into debt.

The Bypass instructions and wiring diagram are all available on this site.
I printed them off, and it was a simple process. I takes the 'Puter' out of the picture as they are supposedly known for perfomance deterioration.
Also check the EGR, which if stuck open will also cause rough running and surging.
Follow instructions to a "T" and hopefully you will have the same resuls as I did. Good Luck
Hey Dooch,I am trying to help a good buddy get his 1990 yj 4.2 to run.
We have correctly replaced all vacuum lines plugs wires,distributor cap etc and have set the timing according to the smog info ie:fast idle speed,curb idle etc.. and this POS just wont run. We get a rough idle that eventually stalls out. It stalls when you turn the wheels,throw it into gear etc..It seems to be surging at all rpms so the distributor was checked for ecxessive play or wear,vac advance ok:???:
I have confirmed TDC checked all I can think of compression check leak down. I now say after reading as much as I can find that the carb is junk!!!
I would like to try this "nutter bypass" I asked my wife and she says her interpetation is to cut me off!
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. We are cal smog here.
I have tried to talk him into a FI conversion as my 95 2.5 just goes everywhere but he overpaid for this thing and doesnt want to go deeper into debt.

I just "Nuttered" my 89. Runs like my old 81."before vaccum spaghetti" no hesitation just power. I did have to remove and clean the venturis in that Crap Carb for a smoothe, low idle. That takes about 30 min.

I did the Nutter on my '85 CJ7 4-banger, and just could not get it to operate as advertised. I followed the instructions to the letter, but it seems to have run better pre-Nutter. I reversed the Nutter, basically putting it back to stock, and then disconnected the plug for the mixture control solenoid, and it seems to run OK, just not as strong as I would like. A little tuning on the idle mixture screw got rid of the hiccup I was experiencing. I'm thinking of replacing plug wires and see if I can get some more hp out of it.

Not my old Renegade, but on my '81 Ford van, I was having issues as described above. Adhering to the look into the most obvious first rule, I come to find that over the years the vacuum lines ends, were hard and brittle where they plug into devices. So I measured the offending lines and replaced them. Luckily the '81 was fairly simple not like regurgitated spagetti all over the motor. Since, "Easy Bake" as my best friend calls this black panel van (no A/C) has been running like the proverbial top.

Back