O.T. -- Belt Sander Drag Racing

I happened to catch a few minutes of the "Monster Nation" show on TV this afternoon. That part of the show was about belt sander drag racing. I was aware of this pastime, but had not seen anything about it for a while. If nothing else, this proves that guys will race absolutely anything!!!

Affordable drag racing available at your nearest hardware store.

A track with two (modified class) machines ready to go.
image-missing.png

Racing "stock" means that your belt sander is unmodified - competing straight out of the box. The "modifieds" are more interesting and can achieve speeds over 50 MPH!

A "fast food" class entry.
image-missing.png

Two Fisher-Price class competitors staged and watching the christmas tree. The belt sanders are under the Funny Car bodies.
image-missing.png

The "Rapid Rat" and "Dr. Skil Saw."
image-missing.png

"Belt Sander Barbie" in her rail. I think that is Barbie's crew chief, Snap-On Ken, behind Barbie. Barbie looks very happy, so happy that I do not want to know what is really going on there. :wink:
image-missing.png

Okay - so this is Pinewood Derby racing for overgrown redneck Cub Scouts or Battle-Bots for carpenters, but I like it.

Seems like belt sander drag racing could be a lot of fun and a real crowd pleaser as part of a community fund raising carnival, fire department field days or similar event.

Regards,

150-Grit Gadget

Wow, that dragster style one at the end is cool.

RE: Mechanic list?

yeah the modified ones.. they use motors from angle grinders, circular saws, and all sorts of bigger motors... its crazy.. over 100 mph

RE: Body lift

I dont know what to say about this. Initially it seems like those people have way too much time on their hands. But the more I think about it the more I want to take a crack at building a belt sander racer.

They have belt sander races just across the border from me in Point Roberst Washington which is about 5 minutes away. They do it every summer and have a stock and modified class. I was thinking of heading over to my dad's place and trying one of his 6 belt sanders in it...without him knowing of course.

Back