Oil Change Bliss

hossenfeth

Well the time comes for the second oil change of my young TJ's life. I have decided to run Mobile 1 10W-30 Full Synthetic with a Wix filter. I had brougt my Jeep into the dealer a few weeks after I bought with a question about the slight lifter clatter that I was getting at idle and he informed me that all Jeeps have this noise...(not owning one before I swallowed that easily)..but it was still annoying.

The first oil change I used dino oil on the reccomendation of a long time Jeep service manager...(wifes uncle) and planned to switch to syn. after that.

Anyway this morning I dropped the oil a few hundred miles early (landing on a saturday is good) and proceded to change the filter and add 4 quarts of Mobile 1 Full Syn. After doing all the reccomended maint....lube, fluid check etc...I started the Jeep to check for leaks and to my suprise the clatter was almost non existent. I could hear it faintly with the hood up standing infront of the engine bay but could not hear it at all in the cab.....Whoo Hoo....

However there is a question in here. I would like to know exactly where the plug to check the fluid level in the manual trans for a 2.5 is? I read in my manual (not the FSM) and can't find it (dense I guess :)) I plan to purchase a FSM soon so I think that should point it out good enough but till then if anyone has pictures or a good description that would be great.

Have a good day,

Hoss

[addsig]

The plug is on the driver's side, just up from the drain plug. It says "do not remove" but I do anyways.[addsig]

you can't really "check" it to see how much there is... well.. i'm sure you can, but its more practical to just make sure its full... open the plug that raven described... if you can stick your finger in and feel gear oil right under the hole, you're good... if not... fill her until it drains out of the hole... STAY AWAY FROM MOBIL 1 in your transmission... go to the autoparts store and get some pennzoil synchromesh fluid... its like giving your transmission an orgasm[addsig]

So lemme get this straight...........you remove the plug that says "do not remove".

I saw that plug but figured the jeep police would beat down my door if I took it out.

Hoss[addsig]

you can't really "check" it to see how much there is... well.. i'm sure you can, but its more practical to just make sure its full... open the plug that raven described... if you can stick your finger in and feel gear oil right under the hole, you're good... if not... fill her until it drains out of the hole... STAY AWAY FROM MOBIL 1 in your transmission... go to the autoparts store and get some pennzoil synchromesh fluid... its like giving your transmission an orgasm

Snitty,

Do you recommend that I drain the fluid and fill with penz synchromesh right now or just when the maint. schedule requires it?

Thanks,

Hoss

[addsig]

If you have a chance change it do so asap. Synromesh is really a great deal. My ol YJ shifts as smooth as a babys butt with it in there. Used to have to really pull it into reverse when it was cold now it goes in like butter. But like the man said as soon as that jeep gets the change it will either want to cuddle, go to sleep, or light up a smoke. Tug ;-) [addsig]

I would drain the transmission and give it brand new oil.

Todd (lives life on the edge by going to mattress stores and ripping off the tags)[addsig]

DO NOT REMOVE THE PLUG LABELED 'DO NOT REMOVE' and no, I'm not the Jeep Police. You check the transmission oil through the fill plug, about half-way up the transmission case on the passenger side. Hard to get to with the exhaust in the way, even harder to refill. I use a siphon pump with a flexible hose.

Why would you remove something that says 'DO NOT REMOVE', do you really think a manufacturer would put that on a plug meant for servicing? :-O [addsig]

Snitty,
Do you recommend that I drain the fluid and fill with penz synchromesh right now or just when the maint. schedule requires it?
Thanks,
Hoss

Yes, do not wait. Chances are your current gear oil is corrosive to the soft brass synchronizers in the transmission. If you can get it, use Redline MT90 in the transmission, but I've heard good things about the Synchromesh. Both are easy on the synchros and improve shifting.[addsig]

Back