Oil everywhere

JTR0569

:x 89' Wrangler 4.2L auto---------:???:

1. New Edlebrock 500 cfm carb.
  2. Replaced oil pan gasket the begining of the week.
  3. On the way home last nite cracked the manual fuel pump (was able to repair for the drive to work this morning).
  4. On the way to work this morning stopped for my morning coffee and noticed oil RUNNING out from around the bell housing area (is this the rear main bearing seal that I should have done with the oil pan gasket?).
Are all of these related or am I just stuck in the Jeep money pit phase?
:deadhorse:

I would think it's posibble that your correct on the assumption with a leaking rear main seal If it's dry on top of the bell housing. Another posibility is that the oil pan gasket has rolled or got pinched during the installation.

ya i would have to agree with mike..
just take a close look at everything real well, maybe even wash it if you could and inspect well...

X2, like Steelheadz said... I've had the rear saddle area of those pan gaskets squish out of place and end up pushed inside the oil pan. Since you just did the pan I'd suspect that saddle area. Besides, you have to pull the pan to do the rear main anyway so it would be a good first step. Did you put sealant at the corners of the pan where the cork side gaskets meet the rubber saddle gaskets? Also, you could remove the inspection plate on the bell housing and carefuly look up in there to see if there is oil coming from the rear main area. When my rear main went the entire clutch/flywheel/pressure plate assy was soaked with oil. Best of luck - John

Thnks for the help everyone!

I replace the valve cover gaskett, oil pan gaskett, and the rear main. That stopped pretty much all of the leaks except one little one that I haven't been able to trace yet. I'll get the little ba@#$%*d though!

Thnks for the help everyone!

I replace the valve cover gaskett, oil pan gaskett, and the rear main. That stopped pretty much all of the leaks except one little one that I haven't been able to trace yet. I'll get the little ba@#$%*d though!

:bomb:#$$#$^%@*%$)^&)&$(%$*%&$&@$#&$!@#

Just started leaking oil like it was shot on the way home AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Anyone want this pig for $2,000 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
:bomb:

Just a thought, but have you checked your oil pressure sending unit? When those things go, they spew oil everywhere!!! Usually give you a sign, though, with some really weird gauge readings.

mud4feet,
Thanks for the tip. The gauge immediately pegs when I start the Jeep, and has since I bought it a few weeks ago. I will replace that next. Do you think by replacing the other gaskets and stopping the leaks it could cause the oil pressure sending unit to go bad?

Be sure you torqued everything down correctly too. A lot of new gaskets will leak pretty easily if they are not torqued to factory specs.

Back