Oil Level High On Dipstick?

EarthCruzn

I bought the 97TJ with 4.0L and notice the oil level was a little high 1/4"to maybe 3/8" above the full mark, I changed the oil and added the six quarts w/filter (All the filters I looked at were the same size no matter who made them) and the level was the same, a little high.
Everything is normal with the jeep, oil pressure is normal at all RPM ranges, no foaming or leaking oil and no loss of oil in 5000 miles.
Going to change it again today and was wondering has anyone had the same experiance? I drain it completely and check it after starting, I am wondering if there is another filter design out there (larger) but even the "mopar" filter is the same size. Dip stick and dip tube are stock engine has 67,000 miles and the oil looks really good at oil changes.........
No...... theres not a rock in the oil pan:rofl:

Pour 5 1/2 quarts first then run the engine at idle for 30 seconds. Engine off, wait 2 mins. then check the oil level.

Pretty sure you should check the oil level with the engine off.

There is a larger filter you can run that offers more capacity and slightly more filter media, model number varies by brand.

Yep!, engine off and wait 2 mins. then check the oil level.

Automatic transmission fluid is checked withthe engine running. Like they said above check oil with the engine off.

Pretty sure you should check the oil level with the engine off.

There is a larger filter you can run that offers more capacity and slightly more filter media, model number varies by brand.

I know guys about waiting and checking the level with the engine off, I did that and checked it while the engine was running just to see the change,........ Bounty, I would like to try the larger filter, have you tried one and where did you get it?
Thanks

I know guys about waiting and checking the level with the engine off, I did that and checked it while the engine was running just to see the change,........ Bounty, I would like to try the larger filter, have you tried one and where did you get it?
Thanks
Anywhere oil filters are sold. It's about 2" longer than the recommended filter, and has the same size base and threads.

Carpenter,
After a couple of oil changes since my last post, I have found that you must be patient and let the oil drain. With my V8 it drained and started dripping quickly and the oil was out, but with the L6 the engine has more areas to shall I say "puddle" and slow drain flow. It will drain and "trickle" longer before it starts to drip, the trickle takes a while and it really adds up in volume believe it or not. I still believe some oil is trapped in the engine but not enough to be concerned about. Just do as Steel mentioned add 5 1/2 qts and add as needed to get the level correct. If you dont have a lot of time to do the oil change. IMO
Jimmy

1/2 a quart isn't going to hurt anything. alot of guys who race bmws with the I6 add an extra quart of oil before racing anyways. i know its not the same engine but look as it as you have a little more oil to spread the heat and particulates out in

Back