oil mist control

jackrgdy

anybody know how to control the excesive oil mist coming out of my 84 4.2 ? my air cleaner is soaked and if I close off even one of the breather holes the pan gasket pukes.

90% chance it's a plugged or stuck PCV valve, which is easy to check and replace. 5% chance it is a badly worn valve stem or guide, which is harder to check and more costly/complicated to fix. 5% chance it is none of the above andy why a good mechanic is worth paying for.

In the old days, the air filters were wire mesh coated in oil, so having oil there was normal. But back the' we did not have PCV valves.:D:???:

Or excessive blow by.

Yes, if the pan gasket pukes this could be your problem. Give your PCV system a quick check by pulling the PCV valve out of the valve cover (with the engine running) and feeling for vacuum on the end of the valve. It should make your finger "stick" to the opening. After you check your PCV system, run the engine with the oil cap off and use an index card to see if there is any "wind" coming out the valve cover. The card really should get "sucked" to the oil filler hole, not blown off of it. The PCV system needs to be working to do this test. If it fails the card test you should do a leak-down test on each cylinder to see how your rings are. With the leak-down test you can listen to the exhaust pipe, carb, and oil filler hole to determine what's leaking at each cylinder. Best of luck - John

Back