Oil Pump Gears Have Timing Marks?

76quadtrac

Replaced Timing chain and while replacing oil pump gears I noticed the marks, like the ones on the timing gears but the only difference was the marks are on the teeth of the gears? How do I reinstall them? which way should i point them? I have the AMC 401 V8. Oh, you know the one about when you reinstall the distributor assembly after putting new gears in your supposed to find the compression stroke on #1 and install the dist. with the rotor pointing at the #1 cylinder? Ok, we probably all have, It doesn't work :-x The rotor needs to be pointing at the #1 plug wire on the cap. I talked to a lot of people and they all said the same thing and they are WRONG! Point it at #1 on the cap! It took 2 hours and after some thinking, I figured it out. Runs like a champ. Also found out that the original timing was set from the #2 cyl. how it ran,,,? :cool: [addsig]

kinda makes sense that the rotor hits the #1 wire when #1's TDC, eh? people really suggested to aim it at the cyl?

hmmm :-O

as for the oil gears, can't say i've ever heard of any timing need - after all, the gears spin against one another moving the oil through the housing. not much more to an oil pump. is this a new pump?

make sure you prime her before installing.
[addsig]

Yes, they said to point it #1 cyl! :roll: The new gears came in a rebuild kit. I had the local shop put it in and they put them in so they were as close to each other as they could get them. (the marks) While changing time chain we noticed a lot of wear on one side on cam and dist. gear, we took out cover with oil pump attached and spun the rotor around and you could feed the rough spot in pump? I replaced both gears(tough to find) and it seems to be ok for now. I installed the marks so that they are pointing the same direction, we checked this before reinstalling and it seemed to make a difference. I primed the pump with petroleum jelly and got oil pressure right now, after I pushed dist. all the way in.........Duh! :cool:

edited by: 76quadtrac, Mar 23, 2003 - 03:42 AM[addsig]

don't you hate when that happens??? we've all done amazing things like that.
check this out. when i was 17 and real stupid (i'm not nearly as stupid now) i rebuilt a borg warner super t 10 four speed transmission in my 63 chevy impala ss - worth today around 3 grand - and forgot to put oil in it. i got about five miles before the prelube heated up and the gears welded themselves to the main shaft.

and you know, as she started to slide sideways with the rear wheels locked, i knew exactly what it was! :-x

is there a reason that you didn't just change the pump with a new unit? rather than only the gears?

m
[addsig]

The parts store only listed a rebuild kit. I tried to get entire pump. :cool: [addsig]

just the the pump, all nicely sealed and well-made. i don't recall the brand chain and gears i put in.[addsig]

Back