ok non-jeep related question

pinaplebob

I've got a old volvo that I am trying to sell. It's pretty much a beater but it's a 1974 so its worth something to some people. Anyway I've got the thing on the internet with a price. For some reason I keep getting people who are from the UK that want to buy it and import it. But here's the part that bothers me. They didn't even see that car (I've got no pics on the internt) and they are already offering me money. They make a offer and then ask to see pics. Well after I send them the pics they send me back a email saying they would like to buy it. But here's the catch and the part I don't like. They both said tha they will send me a check for $5000.00 and I should deduct the amount of the car and send him back a check. Both times, No one will tell me how they plan on shipping it, or that the car is even nice. It's seems like some sort of a scam or something.
I emailed them back and I was told that they send more money then needed because of conversion rates and to cover shipping costs as It will be converted when I cash it. They both said that they were owed the money and the check was already written and the amount on the check could not be voided.
I sorta think they are trying to rip me off but why would you rip me off and take a 1974 volvo that is worth about $2000? It's just plain weird.
Has this ever happended to anyone before?
Has anyone ever sold a car that was going to be exported?

Any ideas or thoughts please let me know.
[addsig]

They are making money some where and or some how on the deal. Exchange rate of laundrying or something. I am guessing the car is listed on eBay and if it is I would contact safe harbor and question them about this idea. also ask your local DOT for advice. tug[addsig]

No it's not on ebay it's on a local classfied volvo site on the internet. It is also on a small volvo club in which I belong.

Question for yeah tug, What is DOT? department of transportation?

edited by: pinaplebob, Mar 18, 2003 - 11:56 PM[addsig]

If you can, let me have some more details then I can do some checking over here as I am in the UK
FATGAZZER
Just a thought if they send you a cheque (sorry wrong language) check for $5000 which isn't genuine and you send the difference back on a legitamate check they have that amount even though they don't have the Volvo. Why don't you see how they react if you ask them to pay by alternative means such as paypal.

edited by: fatgazzer, Mar 19, 2003 - 08:16 AM[addsig]

The normal way to do a transaction like you described would be, one, have them do a bank to bank transfer. Two, deliver the vehicle to a shipper, who would have a copy of the buyers insurance (or insurance through the shipper). Shipping costs to be paid directly to the shipper by the buyer (again bank to bank). With a fax, stipulating the buyer assumes responsibility for the import duties and a fax copy of a sales contract, listing your liabilty or lack of, for customer satifaction of the product. You would receive a notice, by fax, of insurance and you would provide a note stopping your insurance. A certification of ownership and VIN number is usually required, by the customs people. The copy of the sales contract, and the shipping documents, and buyers insurance coverage and your insurance stop. Would be enough, to limit your liability, if the vehicle was involved in any future litigation.
Cover your rear end and have a paper trail.[addsig]

just make sure the check clears before you do ANYTHING. i would even go as far as to tell them that you're going to SIT ON IT FOR 2 WEEKS before you do anything. that way if any banks need to get ahold of you you're not out the car and the money.

edited by: dingus, Mar 19, 2003 - 09:17 AM[addsig]

They both said that they were owed the money and the check was already written and the amount on the check could not be voided.

I read this as "I stole this check, and will write it out for 5K, get an american sucker to cash it, and mail me back 3K and a car. The prefect crime....Bwaaahahahahahaha!"

Alright, I added the last part for effect, but you get the idea.

Terry[addsig]

IT IS A SCAM! dont fall for it.. Just yesterday there was an article in the paper about some people who were offered a check for more than the amount of the purchase with the same instructions from the buyer. The sellers did not wait for the checks to clear and sent money back to them, and sure enough, the checks were all forgeries. These lowlifes are trying to rip you off![addsig]

heres another thought, how to get them at their own game? they're trying to shaft you, give them the shaft right back. i'd go to the police and be like i have someone here that i think is planning to do a series of illegal activities. give them any information you have on the buyers and have them get your back, then proceed to make the transaction. then if it goes well its all good, if you get shafted, which you will. the police have been there all along and nail the person. not sure how complicated or possible that would be with the over seas thing, bounty could probably give you a better idea on ways to catch them. i'd go after them, no reason to let them take advantage of someone who doesnt catch on to their game. good luck with that

p.s. at least get the phony check lol, then you can hang it on your wall and be like thats the check i got from these Bristish car swindlers, they didnt swindle me tho, oh no, the ladies will LOVE it, very james bond super spy type thing, beating car swindlers. :-D

edited by: jeepmaster, Mar 19, 2003 - 01:32 PM[addsig]

I already told one of them that I wouldn't do it...but the other says that he's legit...he's given me phone numbers and names and everything. it's just weird... this is the email

Dear Loren,

Thank you for your response.

First, I made it known to you in one of my previous emails to you that my agent owes me some amount. Also, I could have my agent send down the amount owed to me first and then I send you your actual amount for the purchase of your 1974 volvo. But as it is, I told my agent that it will be difficult for me to cash a check here and that rather than delay our business transaction, I will rather he send across the check he owes me to you on my instructions.

Although, for me to do the above, the level of trust and honesty between us must first be generated so that we can conclude our transaction successfully based on trust and honesty. I am hoping that you are that person that based things in life generally on trust, honesty and possibly LOVE.

Furthermore, after you receive check from my agent, on my instructions that he send across to you, you will cash the check and send to me the excess fund. This fund will be utilise for the arrangements of travelling and shipping by my shipper, who I have briefed properly. He will make the journey down to me with you directly and in person. He will make hotel reservations (if your place isn't too convinient enough) as well as arrangements for the shipping of your volvo. But for him to do this, he will first make sure that the vehicle is in perfect shape before shipping. Also, all necessary papers have to be signed and copies made out to me immediately via email, so as to avoid loopholes or hinderances.

All charges i.e. wiring charges, hotel reservations and shipping charges will be taking out of my excess. I sincerely hope my explanations so far is enough to allay your fears. I am also assuring you of maximum risk free business transaction as long as you perfect your part of the transaction.

Hoping to hear from you soon while anticipating your urgent and favourable response. Call me immediately on my mobile number: +234 - 803 - 473 1779 to ascertain your seriousness about our transaction.

My sincere and profound regards to you and your entire family.

Cole Smith.

what do you think?

edited by: pinaplebob, Mar 19, 2003 - 10:52 PM[addsig]

Fatgazzer...all the info is in that email...I've also got the first email...but it doesn't have things like phone numbers in it.

thanks a lot
pinaplebob loren[addsig]

For a start all UK phone numbers start with +44 not +234 so that isn't over here and the rest of the number doesn't correlate with UK mobile (read CELLNET) numbers as they all start with 07 whatever the network.
the language doesn't sound right to me either, rather like someone trying to sound too English :-x
just checked +234 is a Nigeria number probably a toll number DON'T RING IT, it'll cost a fortune more likely than not thats how they make their money not with the cheque(note my spelling compared to theirs).
hope this helps
FATGAZZER
does this link help :-?
scams

edited by: fatgazzer, Mar 20, 2003 - 08:20 AM[addsig]

Ok, Thanks a lot Fatgazzeer.

I think I'm going to try and screw with them a little bit. See if I can get them to send me a check. Or at least try and give them a taste of there own medicine.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks a lot

pinaplebob aka loren[addsig]

i recently recieved the privelage of dealing with a south african man whom i sold my old cell phone too on ebay. he spoke with an interesting dialect and his grasp on the tense "send sending sent" type thing wasnt that great. as you read that letter you may notice this several times "on my instructions that he send across to you" for example, which would help to confirm the Nigerian # scam fatgazzer discovered. i work with a guy from ethiopia who also speaks the same way. i say talk to the authorities and say these guys are attempting fraud. you could always try having him call you (does that still cost a fortune?) and ask him to try to better explain his situation. (you could also hear his accent, not that it matters) good luck, take the bad guys down!![addsig]

Thats right, in fact that scam I referred to in Montana involved people from Africa. And this was a phone# in Nigeria?... Dude, I dont care how honest or legit he says he is. Tell them to do a wire transfer of the funds directly to your account, wait ten days and then, and only then maybe finish the tranaction.. But Id be willing to they wont do that so you have nothing to worry about. Good luck.[addsig]

That scam smells like
image-missing.png
, Just like the old addage. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.[addsig]

Back