operating systems and browsers

superj

what do you guys run on your computers?

i have an old school p4 hp compaq laptop that i run xp on. i use mozilla firefox on it as a browser.

i have an older xp pc that is running ubuntu 9.3 and firefox.

i also have my fairly old toshiba satellite that is running ubuntu 10.4 and firefox and google chrome on.

i like the ubuntu programs but i just found out i cannot run netflix on any of them, even 10.4, the newest variant out. i took vista off of the toshiba because of how slow it is and how easily it gets a virus but i wish i would have known i couldn't watch netflix on it.

i am going to read up on the systems listed on netflix and maybe load one of those to my p4 hp laptop and see what it does. the negative to doing that is the p4 is the laptop that is set up to run my innovate wideband controller for the jeep.

anyone got any thoughts on what is the best open source operating system and browser? i like to mess around with this stuff, not designing or programming, just seeing what does what. my brother turned me onto ubuntu years ago on an old p3 1gig dell and that sucker screamed along versus the p4s running xp, at the time.

I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows Vista.........Wouldnt recommend Vista

All I use is Mac now I edit alot of photo and video for my business and it's all I've had luck with

Imac OS 10.6.8 with firefox. I would have installed windows like 10 times already if I never got the mac. Netflix runs perfectly. I'm looking for it to break so I can upgrade the imac, It runs like I took it out of the box yesterday.

Compaq cq62 with windows 7. Note to self...don't buy the cheapest laptop at best buy. I use Google Chrome.

I have a gateway and a dell laptop,both with Vista both running firefox.

I also use Oprea but only for a game because of the short cut keys you can set up.

What is the innovate wide band controler for the jeep? I'm a little ignorant about this computor stuff.

Toshiba Sattelite series i3 with windows7. I dont like vista either.

an innovate wideband is so i can monitor my fuel mixtures while driving. unfortunately, a recent firmware update has made the information unreliable so i am going to have to figure a way to back out the update and return to the original firmware on the controller. this wideband is normally used on stand alone units to update the custom program for the new ecu for fuel/air maps or to run with a map sensor to make sure the mixtures are in acceptable range.

its a little bit of left over from my autocross days and my megasquirt build up to turbo my bmw. i never got past the stand alone fuel/ timing because i am computer programming illiterate. i can build a stand alone fine and it bench tests fine but the actual programming was beyond my knowledge of computers and my patience to learn to do it was exceeded greatly so i got rid of the system. i couldn't get myself to let go of the wideband and controller because it was not cheap.

iMac for the family, 11in MacBook air for me, 13" MacBook pro for my wife.
iPad 2 3G with me everywhere, and iPhone 4s as well.
Never without Internet access. :)

I also have Ubuntu in the lab for electronics work ( and yes sometimes I will have to boot into windoze for some stuff)

So, all the non windows people, how do y'all watch Netflix?

what do you guys run on your computers?

i have an old school p4 hp compaq laptop that i run xp on. i use mozilla firefox on it as a browser.

i have an older xp pc that is running ubuntu 9.3 and firefox.

i also have my fairly old toshiba satellite that is running ubuntu 10.4 and firefox and google chrome on.

i like the ubuntu programs but i just found out i cannot run netflix on any of them, even 10.4, the newest variant out. i took vista off of the toshiba because of how slow it is and how easily it gets a virus but i wish i would have known i couldn't watch netflix on it.

i am going to read up on the systems listed on netflix and maybe load one of those to my p4 hp laptop and see what it does. the negative to doing that is the p4 is the laptop that is set up to run my innovate wideband controller for the jeep.

anyone got any thoughts on what is the best open source operating system and browser? i like to mess around with this stuff, not designing or programming, just seeing what does what. my brother turned me onto ubuntu years ago on an old p3 1gig dell and that sucker screamed along versus the p4s running xp, at the time.

Been on a Mac since 1984, converted then at NASA. Try a Mac, never go back! True.

I use iCab and Safari for browsers. That is all.

Robert

i looked up icab and its not supported on anything but the older macs now, supposedly

I have an imac, runs netflix in firefox perfectly. Why wouldn't we be able to watch it on a mac? Maybe older macs without intel chipsets have problems?

On the mac under OS 10.4.11 on my big imaging mac with the two 24" screens and what I do the movie stuff on, I use Quicktime and its devoted components to watch the movies, NetFlix, CDs, DVDs, ST-TNG, etc etc. Rocks on well!

Robert

I have an imac, runs netflix in firefox perfectly. Why wouldn't we be able to watch it on a mac? Maybe older macs without intel chipsets have problems?

Correct.

For me I have the huge G4 for movie stuff, FXFX, NASA imaging, other ditigal art. Then, I have one G5 16" MacBook for everything else. Backup is a G5 iMac 15" for quick down and dirty Jeep, VEX, work, Archaeology, NASA, correspondence, CAM, imaging references, etc etc, data and output, reports, Archaeology papers-documents all for NASA and work related, travel, Visa data, import/export data.

iCab does not work for the G5s. The two latest macs, the G5s, are Intel--I use Safari. The huge G4 quad is PPC. Both rock on. I use iCab/Safari on the G4-PPC machine.

When I use big G4, my assistants that work for me, Audrey and The Commander, use the other two on their assigned work loads.

Hope that is helpful.

Robert

Last edited:
all i know is netflix doesn't work on ubuntu unless you run a virtual box with windows in that. i don;t know why. i looked it up and no one has been able to get netflix to run on ubuntu.

and on the macs, i would get one but they cost too much up front. i have a hard time handing that much money over at once for a novelty play toy, which is what a mac would be for me

and on the macs, i would get one but they cost too much up front. i have a hard time handing that much money over at once for a novelty play toy, which is what a mac would be for me

Odd response. Doing high end movie FX, NASA Imaging, high end CAD, CAM interface, on a machine that never crashes, never bombs, no blue screen crap, no virii, no hacked crap, no glitches, no failures, is worth every penny if your career depends on it. Oh well.

image-missing.png

"Independence Day", 1996, executed on a G3 400 Mac Dual, for Roland Emmerich, via Particle Motion FXFX, by Robert A.M. Stephens, LLC©, All Rights Reserved, Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation®, 1996©

image-missing.png

Me, in VEX, and these are the sorta oddballs that use Macs.....oh well....

Hail, Apple
Hail, Jeeps,
Hail NASA

Robert

Back