Opinions on shackle reverse for a CJ

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member

I'm getting ready to replace the JCwhitney lift shackles on my 85 CJ7 with some stock height heavy duty shackles when I came upon the Shackle reverse kit. Does this look like a bolt on kit to you guys? I think I've heard that the reverse is good in general, as the Jeep will handle better over bumps.

I'm trying to build my jeep into a dependable ride that can make the hour or so interstate trip to the local trails, and would worry about highway/street handleing first, and trail second.

Any ideas on this?

Terry

[addsig]

Taken from the Warrior Products website (the guys that make this kit):

Designed to eliminate the poor driving characteristics that are prevalent in all CJ series Jeeps, leaf spring Wranglers, and Suzuki Samurai. No longer will you have that jarring, wandering, unsafe feeling after you have installed the SR-180 System on your vehicle. Simply by moving the front leaf spring shackle to the rear of the same spring creates amazing results in the drivability which is directly transferred to the driver and felt by all. The SR-180 System is designed to create a safer driving vehicle under all conditions but especially during extreme driving conditions.

[addsig]

Terry,

I just installed a 4" lift and shaclke reverse kit on my 80 cj7. I love it. I think it inproved the ride and also the handling of the jeep. As i did 3 things at once do really know which inproved the ride more... 4" lift , shackle reverse, or steering stablizer.

the kit I purchased was from rough country. both lift and shackle reverse kit. From what I saw they make 2 type of kits.. weld on and bolt on, mine was bolt on. I purchased them both from jeeperz-creeperz.com

the next thing I want to do is install a set of heavy duty greaseable shackles...

www.jeeperz-creeperz.com

I also installed a 1" daystar body lift which I also bought from the same place. I am getting ready to maybe undertake the body swap out that you are doing. Mine needs some help, but I want to try to keep it as close to original because it is a Laredo model so I would like to keep the old style dash...... but I am running a small block chevy in it.... so much for original...... hope some of this babble helps ya out.[addsig]

I read on some sites that you can get pretty bad nose dive when brakeing hard. Have you noticed any of that?[addsig]

Not as of yet. I have put about 1000 miles on the jeep since installing the kits. Had it in the mud a little bit. Just waiting to go out with a buddy to really try the jeep out. The articulation seemed to be okay. Climed some off camber hills with large ruts and had no problem. I think it was worth the money.

on a side not....

What is your opinon about switching tubs. Is it worth it or would you recomend buying a replacement cj7 tub. My jeep body needs help...[addsig]

Since I am rebuilding & replacing from ground up, I seen a kit from OLD Man Emu. Basicly a bolt on kit that allows you to use YJ springs. From the add, this adds to ride/safty stability. Has anyone else done this ? The kit is like $350 DANG.

Jim

1978 CJ7

Parts here, parts there

When put together, will look like a jeep once again

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back