PCV hoses

jay79cj7

I was looking around last weekend and realized some of my vacuum hoses need replacement. In the process, I noticed that my PCV valve doesn't seem to be hooked up right. Its a T shaped valve, and there are two hoses coming off it. Both lead back to vacuum. Is this right? It seems like if only both go to vacuum, there should only be one line? What would be the point of 2? I thought it seemed funny, but I wasn't sure, but now I just saw a "professionally rebuilt" 7 on ebay and the pic on the hood showed one hose going to just a breather cap, like the axle vents have.

Oh yeah, its a '79 258.

Thanks everybody.

from all that i have seen you want 1 going to manifold vacuum. just using a breather filter is bad. you need vacuum to pull all of the excess gas out of the valve cover.

Yes, you certainly need vacuum on the PCV valve. What I am saying is that both the hoses on the valve lead back to vacuum, and what's the point of having 2 hoses lead back to the same place? Why not just one? I know the previous owner messed with a bunch of stuff... But then, if you didn't put that other hose to vacuum, and just had a breather, that would essentially be a vacuum leak, right? How are your PCV's set up?
Thanks

i would go to autozone and get another pcv valve that only has one port on it. if you unhooked the one and put a breather on it, that would really limit what your pcv was designed for. it would be sucking in clean air along with the excess gas. on all the jeeps that i have owned they all only had one hose coming from the pcv, and one from the ccv.

the one in the back i believe is the intake for the pcv system... you need at least one going to a vacuum

you need a breather filter on one of the openings on the valve cover. the other should have the pcv valve in there and one hose going to vacuum. there should only be one place to connect a hose on the pcv valve. the guy probably got the wrong one and didn't know it and replaced a bunch of hoses at the same time so had no clue.

Front hose has a PVC valve, hose goes to vacuum, back hole has a simple elbow with a hose that goes to the air cleaner. That's the way it is on my dad's scrambler and he bought it new (hasn't ever changed anything on it except the oil)

Since the previous owner took the stock air cleaner assembly off and I have a round K&N, I don't have a hose going from the back of the cover to the air cleaner. I just have a breather stuck in there. Should be the same thing. On the front, I have a PCV with 2 hoses, both going to vacuum. One is going to the base of the carb and the other to the hose that goes to the brake booster, if I remember correctly.

I was thinking the same thing Skyjeeper said. However, after I first bought the thing, I pulled the PCV valve out to check it, and I broke one of the hose ports off accidentally. I bought a new one, and I am pretty sure I would have got the correct part number for the engine, and if I did that, I wouldn't have the wrong part on there. I will look into this more and see. I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this sounds wrong.

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate it, as usual.

Back