Piston ring gap and rod bearing replacement

GaryMB

So I'm finally piecing together my 4.6L stroker, and thus far it's been a nightmare. I had the pistons in the block when a machinist told me that the hypereutectic style i was using required a top ring gap coefficient of .0065-.008, giving me roughly a .030 gap on the top ring. So I pulled out the pistons, filed down the moly rings to this gap, and then after talking to the piston manufacturers (KB Silvolite) found out that I really need a .0022 ring gap...Question #1) is it OK that the piston ring gap is so high for the top rings? The bottom rings are still at the stock oem recommended gap, and so far I have only filed down and installed half of the top rings. Also, when I was putting the rods/pistons back in, the rod journals got some oil in them under the bearings...at the time I thought nothing of it, but after nightmares of spun bearings and uneven wear, I began to worry, which brings me to question #2) is it ok that there was some motor oil inbetween the bearings and the rod journals? I havn't torqued them yet, so in theory i could go and dry the journals, but that would be my third time tearing that engine apart and putting it back together...Help?

oil on the journal is ok, oil between the bearing shell and the big end of the rod is bad.
personal experience w/kieth black is a large top ring gap wont hurt,
i,ve ripped the tops off too many pistons, if you are ever going to work it hard/possibly run it hot/possibly detonate it(bad gas) .
for what its worth i wouldnt hesitate to try the large top ring gap.
good luck

Back