Polution control

Texas Gringo

a friend just bought a 2012 ford p/u and said at every oil change he has to check a canister under the hood to keep fluid in it. if empty it will hurt the catalytic converter. said its new for 2012. whats he talking about.

that bottom part looks like it.

as long as i can get used vehicles that don't require all that weird junk, i am going to buy used. now they have this fluid that also has to be added at each oil change. another cost from the dealer

From Kimberly's link:

What the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) does
Your Super Duty includes new selective catalytic reduction (SCR) technology to dramatically reduce NOx levels coming out of your tailpipe. This technology uses DEF, a clear fluid that’s injected into your exhaust system to help convert NOx to nitrogen, a nontoxic gas.

I wish Jeep would clean up their diesel engines so that we in the US could get a diesel Wrangler.

Unfortunately, I live in a smoggy area, and a lot of that smog comes from vehicle exhaust. :(

Since the mid-1980's, the air quality in my area has improved every year, primarily due to improvements in vehicle exhaust management. Initially, I really disliked the Mickey Mouse exhaust quality add ons, but now that these controls are integrated into the powertrain, I'm all for them.

The downside is that vehicle maintenance is more complicated. That's no doubt a big downside, but to me, the improved air quality is worth it.

Apparently, this technology has already been in place for a few years on big trucks (peterbilt/KW/etc)....

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

This updated pollution control also applies on GM, and Dodge diesels. The fluid is called Urea. It's a mandatory emmision control for all U.S. manufacturers on diesel engines that was tested on the commercially operated trucks and now mandatory on non commercial diesels. They are not cheap and yes, you have to add it to your maintainance log when your service is due. For the most part, these trucks are equipped with a sensor that would warn you when the DEF fluid tank needs to be re-filled. So far from what i've seen, lack of these fluid maintainance would result into O2 sensor failure and DEF fluid injector DTC's.

Isn't Urea a component of Urine? So, if running low, can you fill the tank as you empty your bladder after a few beers?

Unfortunately, I live in a smoggy area, and a lot of that smog comes from vehicle exhaust. :(

Since the mid-1980's, the air quality in my area has improved every year, primarily due to improvements in vehicle exhaust management. Initially, I really disliked the Mickey Mouse exhaust quality add ons, but now that these controls are integrated into the powertrain, I'm all for them.

The downside is that vehicle maintenance is more complicated. That's no doubt a big downside, but to me, the improved air quality is worth it.

this is true. i remember us not being able to do PE in school because of smog days. i grew up in riverside

I have a 2012 Ford work truck and there are two gas caps one for diesel and one for Urea on mine... This truck has so many things you almost need a class to drive it.. everything is electrical even the signal lever is electronic. Its a dealer only service and work on this truck for me.. but the Company is paying for it. I personally wouldnt buy this truck for myself... I will stick with my Jeep!!

Lmao, Im a contractor for the Post Office currently, been trucking 22 years, LAST NIGHT I stopped at a Pilot (usualy I dont stop anywhere, just go and go), and I saw these big looked like gallon cardboard jugs with "DEF" written on them, also they had signs everywhere saying "DEF" is now available at the pump, I meant to ask them about it when I walked in but all the pretty shiny things disctracted me and I wanted a decedant Pilot chili dog so I forgot to ask.

This environmental thing is getting a little out of hand, too bad Michael Crighton died, he knew the deal and was willing to speak out about the skewed numbers, I live in Wyoming, we have an environmental control system, keeps polution from ever becoming an issue in our state, its called the wind (sorry Utah). When they can make a prius that does less environmental damage being made than a Land Rover Discovery makes in 20 years of driving I'll believe someone cares about the environment, until then I'll keep draining my oil out in the desert so 20,000 years from now some other oil company can drill it back out :)

Back