Poor Idle with DUI ignition

ineedabrew

Guys I need some help. This is my first real post so bear with me. I installed a DUI distributor a while ago and it brought life to my 86 CJ. I think the ignition module was dead. Anyway, I powered it directly from the red hot wire that plugged into the ignition module.

After getting the jeep running, I am having problems with idle. I did the idle tube cleaning several times and it seems to help initially but after a couple hours of driving, the jeep continues to stall when rolling to a stop or sitting at a light. I went through Dale's "Adventures under the Hood" at sprynet.com and checked the three major players. My metering pins simply are not moving at all. I have done all the rich/lean tests, etc. and still no movement at all. I pulled the lead of the o2 senser and tested it with a multimeter. It is giving indications varying from .1 to about .6 so I think it is working but does that make sense without the pins moving? Even on start up the pins don't move.

I broke down the carb and it is really clean fairly new according to previous owner. I removed the stepper motor and attempted to move the pins by hand. There is quite a bit of resistance to move them. Is this normal? Can I test the stepper motor by hot wiring some pins?

From what I read, the 02 sensor, stepper motor, or ECM must be dead.

On a side note, after installing the DUI distributor, my orange and purple wires that went to the old distributor now don't attach to anything . Is this right? I was contemplating the nutter bypass but didn't see the point of running jumper wires to the ignition module side when they didn't connect to the distributor anymore.

Sorry for the long post, I am full of questions.

Welcome to Jeepz. What engine and carburator do you have in this CJ?

Run a different hot lead. I had a similar problem when I upgraded from a mulitpiece HEI setup to a 1 piece HEI unit on my 351W I used the hot lead for the ignition to activate a relay setup drawing direct power from my battery with a fuse inline of course. Problem went away. Go to Autozone, head over the the auxiliary lighting section there is a 4 prong relay with a tab mount Attach this to the fender. Run 10 Gauge wire from the battery--I put a 30 amp circuit breaker about 5"'s from the battery in mine--These are found in the fuse section on the bottom row at Autozone. Hook the 10 gauge wire to pin 30 on the relay. Run same 10 gauge lead from pin 70 to your HEI unit. Run the original hot lead for your ignition to pin 85 and ground out pin 86 you are DONE!! The aftermarket performance oriented modules need more juice and all the stoppages along the way in a factory setup do not allow it to supply enough amps unitl the motor is spinning and the added amps overcome the resistances of all the stops along the way.

Hey thanks for the welcome and sorry it took so long for me to reply. I have the 4.2L 258 in my 86 jeep. A replaced BBD carb that the previous owner put in as well. Love the site!

I am presently doing just what Keith said to do with the power lead. Makes sense and will clean up the electrical connections too! Thanks for the suggestion. I will post my results!!

J

Ok, I hooked up the relay and boy the jeep seems to be running nice but now when I turn the ignition switch off the jeep keeps running. I thought when you took voltage off the relay from the ignition switch, the relay would open the circuit running to the DUI distributor and shut the engine off. What the heck is going on? I tested and indeed the 12 volt ignition lead is cutting off when I turn the switch off. What do ya think? You tapped into the red/white wire running into the ignition module right?

Just to let everyone know......problem fixed thanks to some help. I wired in a diode at the brown exciter wire going into the alternator. Part number 276-1144 at radio shack. Apparently that wire goes positive once the alternator starts working and back powers the relay keeping it closed whether or not the ignition switch is on. Worked like a charm!
Additionally, with the dedicated circuit for the DUI it runs great!

Back