Possible soon to be 92 YJ owner

Vince21

Well first id like to introduce myself, im new to this forum. I live in NL, Canada and Im 17 and i have a 06 CBR 600 RR that im looking to trade for a Jeep. Theres a guy willing to trade me his 92 YJ that was fully restored. Has 120 000 kms on it crome bumpers, running borads and a few other things, its looks in really good shape has no visable rust. I didnt see it in person but from the pic it looks nice, i will post a pic later and some more in a day or so when i get them. Oh yeah the jeep also has new 31inch tires, a 2 inch body lift, and a 2" shackle lift but its not installed. Its a 2.5l 5 speed.

Be cool if someone can give me a few pointers on what to look for in a jeep, pros cons of the YJ compared to the TJ? Possible problems with the 92? Ive been doing a lot of searching and reading reviews, so far there mostly all positve and it seems to be a reliable rig. I grew up driving 4runners and you couldnt kill it, but i allways loved the look of a Jeep, there just perfect its exactly how a JEEP should look IMO.

I didnt get a chance to look around the forum yet but im sure i will soon, i hope to learn lots and im glad to be a part of it. I allways loved off roading and just being able to go were other rigs cant, I was really impressed with the 4runner even with its long wheel base and shatty tires, its still fun to go exploring! Cant wait to get myself in a YJ or TJ.

I cant post Pics yet becasue i only have 1 post, but i will do so later. Theres not a lot done but it looks clean and in good shape! hopefully i can get this and some money for my bike and throw some parts on it! Id like to get a newer year but, If everyone says there reliable why not?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BUMP for a reply, somone must be able to give me some info!

I have a 95YJ, love it until something goes wrong, then its costly. Other than that I love it. 194,000 miles and still kicks. A Jeep is a Jeep no matter what year in my opinion.

My brother has a 92, he has had it since 95, and other than a clutch, exhaust, and the normal things that wear out (brakes and tires,belts and hoses) he has not had a problem. But now body rust is becoming a factor.

I have a 90, my father was original owner, I have no rust, but have had a run of little things going wrong in the last year, starter, water pump, leaf springs broke, calipers locked up, exhaust rusted out, But nothing major has ever let me down. Not bad for 20 year old jeep.Most cars would have fell apart by now. I have 188,000 miles on mine and my brother has 166,000 on his.

Hi, glad to hear that you're about to step up to Jeep!

I have a "95 YJ 2.5L w/5 speed and I love it!!!!! I The little four banger is tough as nails. It won't run 80 mph on the interstate but, that's not what I bought it for. It has all the torque it needs for the trail and gets pretty good milage (19-20).

Mine is all stock. And I wouldn't change a thing!

I have a 95YJ, love it until something goes wrong, then its costly. Other than that I love it. 194,000 miles and still kicks. A Jeep is a Jeep no matter what year in my opinion.
I really like the jeep too, i like the fact its so easy to lift! It has a im planing on using the money he gives me with it to out on a 4inch lift from rough country, will that work with the 2" body lift and 2" shackel lift? or should i leave the shackle lift off.

My brother has a 92, he has had it since 95, and other than a clutch, exhaust, and the normal things that wear out (brakes and tires,belts and hoses) he has not had a problem. But now body rust is becoming a factor.

I have a 90, my father was original owner, I have no rust, but have had a run of little things going wrong in the last year, starter, water pump, leaf springs broke, calipers locked up, exhaust rusted out, But nothing major has ever let me down. Not bad for 20 year old jeep.Most cars would have fell apart by now. I have 188,000 miles on mine and my brother has 166,000 on his.
This jeep was fully restored, so in my opinion that could be good or bad depending. Id have to ask why was it restored, maybe it was a project jeep than itd be good im thinking. Also it was only drove for 100km then parked since the restoration and is currently not licensed. I have pics of the interior and under body. will post them soon as i get 5 posts haha. But like i said almost no rust anywere and interior is in better shape than my old 4runner by the looks of it.

Hi, glad to hear that you're about to step up to Jeep!

I have a "95 YJ 2.5L w/5 speed and I love it!!!!! I The little four banger is tough as nails. It won't run 80 mph on the interstate but, that's not what I bought it for. It has all the torque it needs for the trail and gets pretty good milage (19-20).

Mine is all stock. And I wouldn't change a thing!
thanks man im pretty exited about it too.

I have allways watched the show trucks and other ones on tv as a kid and loved the look of a tj/yj etc.. I also dont care about the slow highway speeds, im used to that from the 4runner, it was a 4 banger also so you had to ajust your driving style to get huge runs for hills :lol: still loved it and hopefully im making the right decision trading my pride and joy for a yj!

however i dont plan on keeping it stock, haha either way nice jeeps

Back