pretty much set on getting a TJ

when i toured my to be campus, there were a lot (many more than i would have thought) of very nice trucks. one that sticks out to me is a brand new toyota tundra, lifted about 6" with big fancy wheels and tires, and a huge grille guard. would a 10 yr old jeep really stick out among these big new fancy trucks?

I would humbly suggest (and I feel like I said this a million times) that unless you're an experienced off-roader, leave the Jeep mostly stock for at least a year or two. That'll give you time to see how much and what type of wheelin' you really want to do, plus it'll give you lots of seat time to get your off-road driving skills tuned up. You would be amazed at the kind of obstacles a bone-stock Wrangler can clear when it's driven by someone who knows how to use it. You can throw all the money you want at it but if you don't know how to pick a good line, follow a spotter, and how much throttle to use, you'll still get stuck a lot (not to mention you'll be more prone to breaking stuff ;) ).

i say keep it stock also. mine still is and i have owned many many 4x4s since i was about 21

tozir all the better that there are some fancy trucks there, they will get the vandals attention. But to them a soft top is just too much of a temptation to ignore.
I also believe you missed my second point. Your JOB while at college is to get a good education first and foremost, period. Forget having a fancy Jeep or anything until after you graduate college. Believe me there are important lessons in life to be learned from living humble for a few years. It will make you well grounded, living off daddy's wallet will never do that, and it will show.

I think that's a really bad idea to put the speaker on the floor near the gas pedals like that, right in the area where they're going to get stepped on and kicked around. And I would never feel comfortable leaving a Jeep like that parked anywhere except my garage with all that stereo equipment in it. Other than that, looks really sweet.

I don't go anywhere with it that I have to leave line of site from it that's for sure.... but holy shiites is it fun. :)
and believe it or not the pix don't really do it justice... i'm just shy of 6 ft with a size 11 shoe... and I never stepped on it...

Kinda looks like something straight out of pimp my ride.... sooo...when does all the recovery gear go in? Tools? Extra parts? Gas cans? Where are you gonna put it all? Wait a minute...it DOES still have 4 wheel drive right? Nevermind. Don't tell me. Its too sad, and I don't want to know. Sniff, sniff.

How are u at the beach with that? It's got
wiring hanging out of it and the stickers still on the tires! Not much mileage on that. Is it another trailer queen sitting in the parking lot!
But as for the original topic before somebody jumped in to show off, get the hardtop while your at school. You can always change it later and the endless types of mods will make it possible for the car to grow with you as you get older and your priorities change! Either way, good luck with your jeep and your education!

offtopic-1.jpg

"Discipline and concentration are a matter of being interested." :lol:

I love my 4 banger. I have no intention of lifting it or any bigger tires than the aftermarket 235's on it now. Mileage is around 19.8 and it will keep up with my kid's 95 Chevy with the 350. It does have the crappy 6 speed though, which is why I bought it. I would look at the 97's. There are alot of them out there, and I have seen them around 200K running like new. I would atleast get hard half doors though.

College is full of a lot of different types of people and some have nothing better to do with there time than mess with other ppls stuff. Ide say go with a hard top for security and leave it stock for now man... there's too much temptation with a soft top to break in or vandalize ... I had my soft top on my yj at uni and was working at a night club one night and some nice person felt the need to practice their knife cutting skills on it.... but all in all you have to decide what you will think will work for you.....

I have to agree with everyone....get a hardtop. You can get the soft top later. I never went to college either, but I was in the service, and people like to mess with Jeeps. Soft tops are just too tempting. And as far as stock....I have not had my Jeep all that long, and right now its in a "getting it to run stage" :lol: but what little I have 4x4'd in, I was totally impressed. Its 100% stock, and the front tires are even different tread than the rears. It still goes through ice and snow and slush better than my Chevy 2500 with a 454. You'll love having a Jeep, and really, the mileage isn't that bad if you are stock. Try gasing up that 454 a few times and you'll really appreciate a Jeep!!! :D Anyway....good luck in whatever you choose. And....remember, no matter how small your town is, someone will ALWAYS get bored and decide to vandalize. My town is less than 300, and I am amazed at the vandalism. I think its worse in small towns, because kids get bored.

Yea man, I'm in high school and I have a hard top. Whenever I'm not at school I wish I had a soft top, but at school, people are real d*cks so I'm happy to have the extra protection.

Yea man, I'm in high school and I have a hard top. Whenever I'm not at school I wish I had a soft top, but at school, people are real d*cks so I'm happy to have the extra protection.

it's a damn shame....it doesn't have to be this way....put a snake in your jeep...that'll fixem':twisted:

Back