put ac in my buddies jeep...... and my stroker is no longer in the yj

superj

These are all my buddy Jake and my son in these pics. Since I wanted to take pics, I never got to be in any shots.

I already have one of the frame horns off and am working on the other. Once those are done, I will put the c6 on the 302 and hang it in the jeep to try and find the best spot. The 302/c6 is a heck of a lot shorter then the 258/tf999 but the ford tcase is longer so I am only going to lose two inches of drive train length doing this swap.

302: 29"
258: 32"
C6: 20"
Tf999: 22.5"
231j: 19"
208: 22"

Ford: 71"
Jeep: 73.5"

Cool swap! Looks like it's pretty darn Jeepy at your house. I see your like me with the zip lock bags, when I pull an eng I put the bolts it a baggy and a note as to where they came from. It's better for me than going thru a coffiee can tryn to sort out which goes where also speeds up reassembly. When I do a water pump I take a piece of card board and push the bolts thru in the pattern of the pump. My forgetter has gotten better over the years!

Cool swap! Looks like it's pretty darn Jeepy at your house. I see your like me with the zip lock bags, when I pull an eng I put the bolts it a baggy and a note as to where they came from. It's better for me than going thru a coffiee can tryn to sort out which goes where also speeds up reassembly. When I do a water pump I take a piece of card board and push the bolts thru in the pattern of the pump. My forgetter has gotten better over the years!
Yup bag & tag has saved my behind many a time too!! Funny how the forgetter keeps getting better & the rememberer keeps slipping...good thing my baggies remember.

Looks like a fun project...I like the Jeep filled background too.

gee wiz , that's a way better system than I got , I just dump out my 50 cal. Ammo can full of nuts, bolts, clips , etc. and throw everything in so as not to is old fasteners with the job at hand.
A little tricky remembering what goes where sometimes but that's half the fun. I am good at making certain however that too long a bolt does not end up in the wrong place to avoid irreversible damage . Doh !
p.s. - my forgetter and rememberer isn't any better so I make sure to lay off the brewskies nite before the jobs going down . Also , I put the cell on silent. Lol

Last edited:
Although the 258 was tried and true , I can't say the same for the torque flite ( except the 727 ) so I totally am down with this swap ! The 302 will kick butt and the C6 is strong so no fear there ! :coolpics:

Last edited:
Trying to put everything back together now

Ran out of time last night to mark where to weld

OK, pulled the engine back out to finish grinding old mount welds off. Ready to zap new mounts on

update:

everything works great except the shifter linkages don;t want to cooperate with each other. the jeep column shifter and linkage rotates one direction at the firewall and the ford shifter linkage rotates the other way at the transmission. once i make a little L adapter, all i have to do is get the inspection done and the jeep will be legally (ha ha ha, as in i already drive it around the neighborhood) able to be driven around town.

i am going to do a tune up and oil change though, also. new plugs and all the stuff associated with a tune up will be done.

with the stock 3.07 gears and 33s, the jeep will spin the tires without thinking about it on turns so you have to not floor it at turns or people look at you funny. it will spin the tires on straight take offs also but you really have to get on it to do that. acceleration wise, the jeep goes from cruising to up the on ramp a whoooole lot faster then the stroker did before. this power train combination is what should have come in a wrangler, the jeep just wants to go now. even though i set the combination back farther then i wanted, accidentally, it still required a longer drive shaft out back so i don't need the t-case drop kit anymore. i have to replace the power steering pump because it died sometime between removal from the bronco and instal into the wrangler but i have no issues driving with no power steering, the jeep is very light weight. (and the engine is 60 or 40 pounds lighter then the I6)

all in all, i think anyone wanting to upgrade their stock power train should consider a 302. it uses the stock electrical system and radiator, the stock exhaust and the ford exhaust are the same diameter so it just requires cutting at matching points and a coupler, and no matter which transmission/t-case you pick, its still going to be shorter then a jeep automatic and I6.

the ford standard trans uses the same bolt pattern on the bell housing to transmission as a jeep so you can take a ford bell housing and bolt it to your jeep ax-15 and then not even have to mess with drive shafts, if you want a stick. advanced adapters or novak sells the special pilot bushing you need if you go that route though and you have to trim the input shaft by 5/8" and bevel it.

this is also a very cheap swap if you are going from a jeep 6 cylinder to a v8, wayyyyy cheaper then swapping a chevy v8 because of all the jeep parts you will reuse.

Back