Question for Slush Boxers?

Robert_Stephens

In these 46 years I've never had a slush box (Automatic Trans.) in a Jeep. With that question, for all you that run them, what is the biggest and nastiest 4 speeder that can fit into a CJ7 with the Dana 300 TC?

Thank you everyone who know these things for answering me on this.

Robert

i have no idea but i love the auto trans in every jeep we have ever had. cherokee, grand cherokee, and wranglers. all trans never gave us any trouble and made trips comfortable, even towing

What are you running now... I did a chevy 283 small block and had a buddy build the hell outa my turbo 350 transmission for my 92 yj.... Its a nasty beast..

In these 46 years I've never had a slush box (Automatic Trans.) in a Jeep. With that question, for all you that run them, what is the biggest and nastiest 4 speeder that can fit into a CJ7 with the Dana 300 TC?

Thank you everyone who know these things for answering me on this.

Robert

My TJ has a whole 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 drive train in it with the 4speed auto...it is beautiful! They shoulda thought of this as a factory option!

rubn1out said:
My TJ has a whole 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 drive train in it with the 4speed auto...it is beautiful! They shoulda thought of this as a factory option!

Nice man... I think anything out of a full size truck would be good.. it doesn't take much to move a jeep down the road lol. At least that's what I'm finding out....

What are you running now... I did a chevy 283 small block and had a buddy build the hell outa my turbo 350 transmission for my 92 yj.... Its a nasty beast..

I run the super low low military T-18 for the 2 1/2 ton and for the big Fords. 4 speed, compund low manual.

My inquiry is to fish and learn also about them.

Robert

Ok, how does it do off road, slithering over steep, screwed up territory? In very very heavy equipment over the last 40 years since they put auto trans in them, they are killer off road and in the rough.

This CAT 518 I ran for Canyon Logging up in Montana 40 years ago, had the auto and it rocked off road. Had the pedal lockers that made them a spool and it totally rocked.

image-missing.png

Do you have to gear lower to compensate for the higher run speed-- and lower torque ratios?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Ok, how does it do off road, slithering over steep, screwed up territory? In very very heavy equipment over the last 40 years since they put auto trans in them, they are killer off road and in the rough.

This CAT 518 I ran for Canyon Logging up in Montana 40 years ago, had the auto and it rocked off road. Had the pedal lockers that made them a spool and it totally rocked.

image-missing.png

Do you have to gear lower to compensate for the higher run speed-- and lower torque ratios?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

All I can say is....I can put it in 4 low....and at idle speed it will just keep going over whatever is in front of it... i was overwhelmed by how well it performs.... not long ago we had a few feet of snow in md.... i didn't even have to shovel it out.... i let it warm up for 20 minutes.... 4 low again...and drove through like it wasn't even there.... CRAZY!!

cool looking cat

For those that play on the rocks the 700R4 is the transmission of choice for slushy lovers, coupled with a Tera low and a extra deep pan.

I cant imagine playing with three pedals with only two legs, even with a thumb throttle its too much for this guy.
Currently run a RE32 three speed but I have a Monster fund set-up to get my 700R4 this year.

For those that play on the rocks the 700R4 is the transmission of choice for slushy lovers, coupled with a Tera low and a extra deep pan.

I cant imagine playing with three pedals with only two legs, even with a thumb throttle its too much for this guy.
Currently run a RE32 three speed but I have a Monster fund set-up to get my 700R4 this year.

Love the 700R4....but i believe fun should be simple.... 1 stick...2 pedals....as designed....hangs with the big dogs

Slush Boxers... Change to briefs and stop poopin yer-self

JK, TF727 and the AW4 are both very good autos that came factory in Jeeps. me personally, I'd mod a 700r4 and put that in because of the lower first gear and it runs cooler since it pumps in neutral. I have been hell bent on wheeling with a manual, but Last year I wheeled a friends MJ with an auto (the one we're chopping up now) and when really in the poop of it, I kinda like the Auto. In a very off camber situation, I was able to moderate the gas and brake a lot beter and made the vehicle a lot more stable instead of jerky like a manual would have been. I ended up on my lid anyways, but that was all my fault.

Another benefit of the auto is the gearing multiplication through stall slipping. the MJ I mention was on 42's with 5.38 gears and a 4.0 through the slipping of the stall converter in low RPM situations, the motor would rev because there was never 100% lock out.

Slush Boxers... Change to briefs and stop poopin yer-self

JK, TF727 and the AW4 are both very good autos that came factory in Jeeps. me personally, I'd mod a 700r4 and put that in because of the lower first gear and it runs cooler since it pumps in neutral. I have been hell bent on wheeling with a manual, but Last year I wheeled a friends MJ with an auto (the one we're chopping up now) and when really in the poop of it, I kinda like the Auto. In a very off camber situation, I was able to moderate the gas and brake a lot beter and made the vehicle a lot more stable instead of jerky like a manual would have been. I ended up on my lid anyways, but that was all my fault.

Another benefit of the auto is the gearing multiplication through stall slipping. the MJ I mention was on 42's with 5.38 gears and a 4.0 through the slipping of the stall converter in low RPM situations, the motor would rev because there was never 100% lock out.

Explain better, this quoted from you, as I do not understand the lingo that well. I've been stuck with the T-18 and standard shifting or these 46 years and it has not hindered me at all, thus, I am out of the loop save for very heavy equipment, like this:

Caterpillar D11
The cab opening is 6'3" high for size comparison.

This machine is fully automatic, and after Hurricane Dean hit my home in the Yucatan, a CAT 5 storm, I used this for a month clearing roads and debris from the roads, trails and lots. A pleasure to run. All 140 tons of it.

image-missing.png

There is merit for the auto. I am studying this fact, and appreciate all your input so are.

Keep it coming, if you would.

Thank you,

Robert

what do you want explained better, in first gear, the converter in an auto never locks up 100% so there is some slipping between the motor and transmission, it inadvertently mimics a gear reduction. (hypothetical numbers) If you calculate the crawl ratio of a vehicle with a V8, Auto 1st gear and the t-case in low, the calculated ratio would be 50:1, but due to the slipping between the motor and trans, that ratio is proably about 10% higher (55% if my math is good)

How about off road, short wheelbase Jeeps, in rough tough country or rock piles or whatever, down those lines.

Robert
my 77 cj7 had the 3 spd chevy turbo 400 and it was bulletproof. my 87 yj started out with a very leaky 999 but was a good transmission as long as it had enough fluid in it and now i run a tf 727 thats also bulletproof !! i'm happy with all my "juicers"8)

what do you want explained better, in first gear, the converter in an auto never locks up 100% so there is some slipping between the motor and transmission, it inadvertently mimics a gear reduction. (hypothetical numbers) If you calculate the crawl ratio of a vehicle with a V8, Auto 1st gear and the t-case in low, the calculated ratio would be 50:1, but due to the slipping between the motor and trans, that ratio is proably about 10% higher (55% if my math is good)

Good response and that makes perfect sense. Thank you for the reply and everyone else as well. Most helpful.

Robert

Back