Questions about a new jeep

oregonduck14

I am new to the jeep world so I will thank you all for your patience. I am thinking about buying a 1995 wrangler 2.5l 4cylinder 89,000 miles. some of the guys at work say stay away from the 4cyl gutless piece of garb, I have no idea?? as I am not mechanical and know very little about cars.
Thanks for any help.

Well, I would assume they are no hemi or anything, but I wouldn't mind one. It depends on if you like to zip around.

Hello everyone my name is Ragnarok X and my father has recently bought a 2009 jeep wrangler. and my father has trouble with the MIL the dashboard is OBD II. does anybody know the list of what components it checks and the TJ error code or know of any web site please Help it has a 6 cylinder 144 miles. Thank you so much for your help.

Depending on what you actually want to do with the Jeep will actually tell the truth to the value of the 2.5. BUT if you are going to leave stock wheels and height, it will probably a good zippy ride and can handle EASY off road trails, nothing serious though. With 89K miles though it should be a decent runner for a while, as long as you don't put tires bigger than 30" on it. Might just be better to buy something with the inline 6 in it. It would sure be a wiser investment, because I haven't met a YJ owner yet that didn't get tired of the 2.5. and wanted to lift it and put meats on it.... Good Luck and welcome!

I am new to the jeep world so I will thank you all for your patience. I am thinking about buying a 1995 wrangler 2.5l 4cylinder 89,000 miles. some of the guys at work say stay away from the 4cyl gutless piece of garb, I have no idea?? as I am not mechanical and know very little about cars.
Thanks for any help.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with the 4 cyl.. If your looking for some Uhhmmpp, then look into the I6 4.0. If your just gonn'a take it 4 wheeling ocasionally and use it as a daily driver on a short distace, it should suffice. 89,000 miles though, you need to go through all the fluids and maintainance to get everything up to parr.

Hello everyone my name is Ragnarok X and my father has recently bought a 2009 jeep wrangler. and my father has trouble with the MIL the dashboard is OBD II. does anybody know the list of what components it checks and the TJ error code or know of any web site please Help it has a 6 cylinder 144 miles. Thank you so much for your help.

If i were you, I'd take it to a dealership to get worked on. 09 with a 144 miles is under warranty. Basic warranty on Chrysler is 3yr or 36,000 miles which ever comes first..

As the owner of 2 4bangers ('94 2.5L and an '03 2.4L) I have to say you need to ignore what the guys at work say. Unless, of course, you have a heavy right foot, lots of speeding tickets, always gotta go 80, can't wait to get somewhere, blah, blah, blah. Mudwoman's '94 has 150K+ miles and my '03 has 130K+ miles and I have no complaints about either one.......well, the 2.5 seems to have a bit more HP than my 2.4, but other than that...........

Very capable, very reliable (if taken care of) engines and drive trains.......I'm still running the factory clutch on my '03 (knock on wood!!!). Plus, with the 4bangers you get 4:10 (or 4:11 - never got that one down) gearing in the diffs.

Best advice I can give you is drive both and see if makes a big difference to you.

my $.02,
4banger lover mud

I have a 97 TJ with a 2.5L..You will get no complaints out of me..Atm I'm running 31" Tires with no problems..Off road the engine has no problems at all..Once you **** into 4 Lo it is all about torque,Which so far i have had enough to climb and get any where I needed.Only disadvantage is the gas milage.Most people I talk to with the 6 cylinder seem to get better MPG because they dont have to push it as hard.89k on the motor the jeep is not even broken in it.The club i belong to considers my jeep like new having 155k on a 97.If your looking for alot of power then the I6 would be a bit better..If you want real power find a CJ with a V8.Happy hunting.

Darren ,I own a 95 yj,2.5 with 31's ,137,000 miles on it Its an Automatic with air,They dont get any slower.
I do have a great time off roading and have never had a problem,and drive it around town occasionally when I am not "working".
My only complaint is freeway onramps and an occaisional steep hill
example here-- last weekend eastern Sierra's freeway grade 6% top speed 50mph-not too bad considering.

Darren ,I own a 95 yj,2.5 with 31's ,137,000 miles on it Its an Automatic with air,They dont get any slower.
I do have a great time off roading and have never had a problem,and drive it around town occasionally when I am not "working".
My only complaint is freeway onramps and an occaisional steep hill
example here-- last weekend eastern Sierra's freeway grade 6% top speed 50mph-not too bad considering.

lol i agree elevator. the 4 banger doesnt get much slower but it is a good ride if just use for weekends, around town, or mild 4wheeling. if you have to drive a lot of interstate miles i would suggest passing on the 2.5 unless you like to be passed! :)

Hey everyone thanks again for all the replies I ended up with a 1980 cj7.
I'm sure I will be on for more advice in the near future.
Thanks again
Darren

Back