Rear rattling noise tracked down.... random question

firestarter

So I probably won't get any response from this but thought I'd post.

For the people that have replaced the rear bumper in their 2000 cherokee you might have an answer for me. For the longest time I've had this dull knocking sound from the rear. Tracked it down last night to something I can't see but can feel. If I put my had up between the passenger rear bumper mount I can feel a rusted metal plate with what feels like a welded nut on it just bouncing around.

Anyone know what that could be? What's in the center of the rear bumper channel?

Thanks,

The nut could be part of the strip for a hitch. Just a thought.

I'd try getting some sort of glue or putty (maybe a caulk gun) and gluing the offending rattle in place.

TerryMason said:
I'd try getting some sort of glue or putty (maybe a caulk gun) and gluing the offending rattle in place.

I use thistrick for rattling stuff too. I use all weather silicone

After a bit of searching I *think* it's the hitch nut strip that broke off and is rattling around. It's a little odd since i torqued on the hitch nuts and everything is solid, I almost would've thought that something would break free.

The hitch was put on before I got it so maybe they didn't actually use the nutstrip? Anyways, without taking the rear bumper off does anyone know how to remove the nutstrip? Doesn't seem like it wants to come out.

Back