Recovery strap recommendations

RE: Who

Robrt-Stephens said:
DO NOT USE;

Tow straps-(vehicle killers)
High Lift Jacks (man killers)
Bungie Chords (eye killers--I almost lost my left one....)

Robert

Hi-lift jacks are only man-killers if improperly used. If used properly, they are one of your most valuable assets, especially with the right accessories. And, you CAN use a hi-lift to lift the axle, and much more safely than a bottle jack... witht he right accessories attached of course. plus, for those of us without a winch, they can be used as a winch.

Chain is only good for static pulls, not for vehicle recovery using another vehicle.

I agree with you about the hi-lifts graewulf. I think everyone should always carry one with them.

We've used them with are tractors and just about everything else....and they can pretty much get out anything if you're creative enough.

And, I would not want to have to crawl under a stuck vehicle to use a little bottle jack.....talk about dangerous AND a pain if you're stuck in the mud or water or who know what else.

Re: RE: Who

88Wrangles said:
I agree with you about the hi-lifts graewulf. I think everyone should always carry one with them.

We've used them with are tractors and just about everything else....and they can pretty much get out anything if you're creative enough.

And, I would not want to have to crawl under a stuck vehicle to use a little bottle jack.....talk about dangerous AND a pain if you're stuck in the mud or water or who know what else.

You got that right!!! I should be getting my hi lift within the next couple of paychecks. Which brings up another question (not wanting to hijack the thread), but I'm thinking I might as well get the 60" rather than the 48" jack because ya never know when you'll need that extra foot. Do you all agree that's the way to go?

RE: Re: Side visors for YJ?

Guess it depends on where your going to carry it.....if length at the carry spot is not a concern...I say go for the 60"

I need to get one my self

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
Guess it depends on where your going to carry it.....if length at the carry spot is not a concern...I say go for the 60"

That was my next question.....where and how is a good way to carry it?

Sparky-Watts said:
_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:

That was my next question.....where and how is a good way to carry it?

That's a good question, Sparky, and I think I remember a thread on that a while back (a search, maybe?). Mine's mounted to my front bumper but that's not a real good spot, i.e. if you're bumper deep in mud :shock: . Like I said, I believe there was a real good thread on this at one time - with pics and everything!! If I can find it, I'll post it.

I say get the 60 - That's what I have and the extra 12" has come in handy... Get a jack guard http://www.jackguard.com/ to protect it and you can leave it outside in the elements and not worry about it. Mine has been in the jackguard for 3 years and still works like new. I have it strapped to the safari rack.

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
Hood rack would be my choice. I'm like MUD said...if your in deep......

That's something I always wish I had gotten, or made myself. I think the hood is an awesome place for it. Of course, I never had enough room for it inside....so that was always out of the question.

This kind of shows how I had my 48" hi-lift, which worked well for me, but I did always hate having to get it when it was underwater :wink:

image-missing.png

Re: RE: Re: Recovery strap recommendations

By the way, I would go with the 60" if you have the space for it. If not, the 48" will still never dissapoint you!!

graewulf said:
I say get the 60 - That's what I have and the extra 12" has come in handy... Get a jack guard http://www.jackguard.com/ to protect it and you can leave it outside in the elements and not worry about it. Mine has been in the jackguard for 3 years and still works like new. I have it strapped to the safari rack.

Sweet! I like that jack guard! Don't have a safari rack.....where to mount it? Most definitely gonna get one, though.

You could always mount it vertically on the spare tire carrier.... the mount straps are designed to be able to remove the whole case with the jack inside. If nothin else, you coule slide it between the seats when you go out and garage it when you aren't wheeling.

Re: This is TOO Creepy!!!

Isn't the case also made to be able to slide the jack in and out of the end of the case without removing it from the Jeep? Looks like it. I'd want it mounted at least diagonally for that purpose. I think having it vertical would be kind of a pain. How wide is my Jeep? Sorry, I'm too tired to go out and measure it. Wondering how much the jack and case would stick out past the sides.....

I just bought me a 2002 jeep wrangler 4.0l

Yes you can slide it out the end.. i never remove the case from my Jeep.... a 48" will fit inside yours... I think the 60 is too wide

NEVER USE METAL HOOKS for recovery. You shouldn't need them. Most straps come with loops on the ends. If you have proper recovery points, loops will do just fine.

RE: Re: RE: New Pope

As far as a high lift on the hood, not only is it exposed to the elements, but imagine putting it back on when your on a trail thats got some rough or wet terrain and you drop it on your hood! :(

I store mine across the rollbars with ubolts I bought at home depot for like 3$ a piece.

i agree that anywhere it is protected from the elements is probably a wise choice. weather can make them very.... touchy, to say the least.

Back