regarding swapping a yj tub to a cj frame

keye

been workin on a 86 cj...the frame is almost perfect...86 cj tub is a basket case with no hopes of restoring...have a chance at a 87 yj tub in great condition...I realize that the fuel tank will be a issue, but hoping to switch sending units from the yj to the cj and hopefully that will be taken care of...is there any other changes that I will need to make..re. fenders and so forth

Look over that 87 tub real good before getting into this project, no sense in just buying a year or so for the work involved. I'm sure you could find a newer tub for a reasonable amount, I believe the tubs got a little better 91 and later.

A few things off the top of my head that you'll run into:

The body mounts just ahead of the rear wheels will have to be moved slightly - we did it on the frame side.

I used my CJ dash and windshield - no real issues with the dash - we swapped a piece out of the tubs where the CJ defrosters go to the windshield.

I bought a set of steel rear corners for a CJ to cover the YJ gas fill and cut the tub so the CJ fill could be used.

this tub has had some metal work done on the floor and om the drivers qiarter panel....its only 400 bucks...maybe I should not jump on the first tub I come across...itys just that the big dollars they are asking for a glass tub has me jumping the gun so to speak...you say 91 and up the tubs got better and thats such a cewl idea regarding the fuel tank.....thank u sir

Back