Restoring an old CJ - where to start?

gthor92

Everyone on this page seems to be pretty competent on restoring old CJ5 Jeeps, so I've got a question for anyone on this thread who reads this. My grandad bought a 1976 cj5 back in the '80s but never really did anything with it. It's been sitting under a barn getting eaten by rats and crapped on by pigeons for 30something years. He passed away this past spring, and my grandma has given me the Jeep if I want to fix it up. Where do I start? It's only got 30,000 miles on the engine, but the whole inside needs to be chunked. Wires are eaten through, all hoses are either cracked or chewed through, tires are trashed, etc. What are my priorities of work here and what's a reasonable estimate of how much this might run me just to get it going again?

Re: 76 CJ5 Restoration

gthor92, getting the 76 up and going again is doable. what does the body look like rust wise, and the frame? any frame rot, rust holes in the frame? You can spend big money fixing it or you can do it on the cheap. The jeep you see in my avatar pic was built for around $2500 on new and used parts including the tires and rims in the pic. your major concern should be getting it reliable and not so much looks right now. Get it running first, cut and splice wires for now, replace radiator and heater hoses, hit craigslist for some tires, replace the brakes. When its up and running then you can decide what it needs for a permanent fix. wiring harnesses are expensive, my jeep runs individual wires instead of a harness. Make It work for now, fix it up later. I should have asked, do you have a grinder, cut off wheel, and can you weld? depending on the rust, welding may not be needed. mine did, I had to replace all the flooring.

Re: 76 CJ5 Restoration

69jeepcj, the frame is fine. Nothing is rusted, dented, or otherwise, although it will need to be repainted once this is all said and done. I agree with you that my priority should be to just get it running right now. I do not have a grinder or a welder. Would the only reason I would need that stuff be if the body is rusted or beat up? That is another question I have, though; what all tools will be required for this restoration in your opinion. Also, are there videos on YouTube or some other type of guidance that you know about on wiring?

Well, to start off with 69 is correct. Wiring loves to be bed fellows of rats and other critters and they tend to make beds out of it. I would get it running and once you know it runs I would go ahead and buy a painless wiring kit and get it rewired. The gas tank might be pretty full of sludge, so I would drop the tank and clean it out real good and make sure it is in decent condition. Replace all the fluids in it, including differential, transmission and oil. This will get you running pretty good I would think.

Getting it running before doing something with the wiring, even if you only inspect it, may be a good way to burn down the garage ! Always have a fire extinguisher at hand

redoing a jeep is intimidating. Don't let it intimidate you! you can do it, its not that hard once you get started. Work on one thing at a time before moving on to the next. There are write ups on the net about wiring, just have to google search. Lots of people on this site that can and will help you.

I appreciate all the input. I've got some planning/work to do, however I'm not able to do anything at the moment. I'm in NC right now, the Jeep is back home in TX, but I'll be driving through on my way to CA here in a couple weeks. When I get there, I'll be able to take pictures to give y'all some sort of an idea of what I'm working with.

Oh, P.S Under no circumstance try to start it with the ignition at first before making sure that the engine is free spinning. Put the transmission in neutral and put a breaker bar on one of the pulleys and give it a go. If it spins freely, then you can use the starter/ignition. I would also suggest pulling the plugs and getting some penetrating oil in the cylinders. If you try to start it and the engine is froze up you could cause all kinds of pricy damage.

Welcome to jeepz.com and congrats on your inheretence . Im sure your grandad was a swell guy. Sorry to see him go. Know the feeling. Looking forward to the pic's when you can . Will give us more perspective on our advice and guidance. I totally agree not to let anyone tell you that it can't be done . You've got motivation and that's where it starts . I completely agree with getting it running first as not only are you entitled to your first joy ride but it will give you direction as to what work you've got ahead . Do be gentle , being to forceful can be costly . My '73 is probably a basket case compared to your garage kept prize but I'm not quitting , I'm replacing front and rear floor panels as soon as I've got capital $$. Quadratech or classic enterprise will get my money soon . A lot to inspect . The front clip unbolts but the tub must be serviced as a unit. We're talking rear wheel houses , floor panels , firewall , sides , the whole shoot'in match. Yeah , a grinder and cutting wheel may come into play . Check out that chassis real well . Fore and aft and everywhere in between. Know just what you got for metal . Hope all you find is just surface rust and no decay. Hope at worst all you'll need to weld is sheet metal . Hope you won't have that though . If so , practice on scrap sheet metal of the same gauge . You can burn through sheet metal real easy if you hold the trigger too long . .023 wire is good for sheet metal . Learn how to get good spot and tacks and not cold joints without burn through . Butt welding is tempting but lap joints with weld through primer applied will be strong for floor pans or panels . If you've got dried up insulation on wiring harnesses or breaks , run new lengths of wire until you can get $$ for a replacement harness . Tough enough enough to get the correct one with all connections . Check continuity as terminal connections may be corroded or rusty . Check the fluids . Both axles , gear box and t-case should be flushed . Engine oil and coolant too . That fuel tank will be scary inside so be prepared to disconnected the feed line from the tank to the fuel pump and run a line into a gas can . The carburetor should be checked out . Linkages may be frozen . Float bowl probably layered in god knows what from fuel deposits. Fuel well plugs probably leak. We can go on like electronic ignition trigger wheel cleaning but one thing at a time . Want a good look at that sheet metal and chassis . You got what a lot of people dream of ; a CJ5 ! ORIGINAL ! We can't let you quit now ! Eye of the tiger ! Get your game face on ! Make it happen ! A man and his jeep . It's a beautiful thing !

Last edited:
If the engines stuck and it may be , they got all kinds of concoctions a recipes to free up the Pistons . Yeah , just use penetrating oil down the spark plug holes and repeat as necessary . Plenty of time and application . I know that stuff in your crank case is verboten but gotta do what ya gotta do. Drain it out. I had to do that several times and still tug the CJ in gear with. Y Cherokee . Probably not good for piston rigs and risking bending a connecting rod but that's why plenty of penetrating oil and plenty of time. Trying to bar it over may work if you can get a good grip on the balancer pulls without damage but a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt will just break it off . Just say no. Be cool around them flywheel teeth ! They bite ! Just want to give you advice from experience from us . Patience is key . Rome wasn't built in a day and neither were jeeps .

I think you may want to check out the Jeep restoration books by Moses Ludel. They have a lot of good buildup info. Get the one that covers your year Jeep & read it thru. Moses wrote the books covering his rebuild. Also check out the "Jeep Builds" section of this forum. There's a lot of info & ideas there too! Along with that research, I agree with what as been said here!!! Every CJ that I've rebuilt(6 or 7) my first goal has been to make it drivable. Once you drive it you'll be inspired to improve it.
Good luck on your project!! Let us now how it's going & post pictures. We LOVE pictures!!!

Gthor92 here are my thoughts. This was your grandfathers jeep and you want to restore it to something that he would be proud of. I would do a thorough inspection and make notes of everything that needs repaired. Then start prioritizing. You already know the wiring, hoses, belts and tires are bad. I'm sure the brake line hoses, brake cylinders, and other parts succeptable to dry rot and rats are also in bad shape.
In your post reply's you mentioned traveling a lot so I assume your job keeps you in the road. With that said, where the engine is concerned, if I thought it wasn't hurt but it's ceased up I would drain the oil out and fill it with diesel all the way to the oil fill in the valve cover. Leave it for a month or so, drain it and check to see if it's free. If not do it again, if so pull the valve cover off and have a buddy help you rotate the engine and watch to see that you don't have any stuck valves. If all is well you're in business. Whatever you don't rush it. Take your time and when you get done you'll have something to be proud of.

If the jeep has got an 'interesting' look you could just clear coat over the patina and keep it looking like it has some history while preserving it from further decay...I've seen it done with rat rods and a couple of old bugs and it can turn out pretty cool.

Good luck and have fun!

If the jeep has got an 'interesting' look you could just clear coat over the patina and keep it looking like it has some history while preserving it from further decay...I've seen it done with rat rods and a couple of old bugs and it can turn out pretty cool.

Good luck and have fun!

Yeah, the patina look is popular now. I watched an episode of Truck U where they were painting a truck from scratch to look patina.

Start with the engine & wiring, then the drive-line (ie: transmission, u-joints, brakes, wheels) ... do the purtying-up last.

i'll give you the same advice someone one gave me. you said restore, right? you should take it down to the frame. bones are the most important. after inspecting the frame with the body off you can see all the hidden things you didn't image were there: rust, holes, and the need to paint.....lol there is actually good vids on youtube. i have used them to finish my project. any ways it is really important to take it down to the frame, and it's not as difficult and scary as you might think. it also makes it easy to replace all the hoses and lines. for electric, good grounds: motor, chasis, body. use the Painless wiring kit: http://www.jcwhitney.com/wiring-harnesses/jeep-cj5-1976/c10483d1166y1976j1s23.jcwx it is truly worth every penny. Good Luck!! post pics of basically everything, to help everyone else who might get a wild hair and try the same thing.

It'll take time patience and kazooks but nothing CAN'T be done on these older Jeeps.
on the other hand you could take a new radiator cap and drive another Jeep under it...
from an old joke I often heard about my '77 I had years ago, that and the Warn hubs joke

Back