Revolver Shackles???

Joopin

Super Moderator
I have a chance to get Revolver shackles for next to nothing. I was originally going to get a set of greasable 1" lift shackles, but this is now tempting me. Has anyone heard of any downsides to these? I guess they are supposed to "allow leaf springs to flex and compress withoug additional spring stress".

So should I get these or go for the extra inch of lift?

I have Revolver shackles front and rear on my 93 YJ. They're great for that added suspension travel. They're usless unless you have your front swaybar disconnected. Your front trac bar will also limit the revolvers from opening fully. I'm thinking about doing a shackle reversal and putting the front revolvers behind the front axle. Hopefully this will keep my axle from shifting side to side and I can get rid of the trac bar. You'll also need longer shocks. I have approx. 3" of lift (probably more like 2" since my suspension is getting a little old) and I use 4" lift shocks in the front with no problems of them bottoming out. The ones for my 2 1/2" spring lift are plenty long enough in the rear. The revolvers will lift your jeep 3/4".

The revolver shackles lift too? Sweeeet. I plan on getting discos soon anyway, maybe I'll just wait it out. Thanks for the info Craig!

Joopin said:
The revolver shackles lift too? Sweeeet. I plan on getting discos soon anyway, maybe I'll just wait it out. Thanks for the info Craig!

Jeez Joopin' how big are expecting to go?? :lol:

Jeep Transformer

Mingez... to answer your question... BIG

or just one more inch or so.

Just be careful of your driveshafts............ive heard of people with revolvers having their drive shafts seperate when the suspension is at max droop

What shocks are the best to replace OEMs?

FiCJeep said:
Just be careful of your driveshafts............ive heard of people with revolvers having their drive shafts seperate when the suspension is at max droop
I haven't had a problem with my driveshaft seperating but that could be because I only have a 2 1/2" spring lift. Larger springs like for a 4" lift might droop more causing your driveshaft to seperate. If z-boxes are coupled with the revolvers, then you will definately have a problem. Put it up on a hoist and see how much droop you get. You might need to install limiting straps on your axles.

Well I have a Tom woods CV in the rear and I had the front lengthened... That will hopefully take care of the shaft issue. I saw those Z boxes in the Quadratec book... nah, not yet at least.

I have seen both the revolver and Z boxes work together and it is an amazing design! The revolver allos for the spring to droop more, the Z box (which will replace the factory frame mounted spring mount) allows the spring to droop as well as twist. when you flex hard, your springs will twist which will create a limit in articulation, the Z boxes get rid of this! They had this set up on a cj with factory lift springs and it flexed like it had four inch lift springs, plus!!

Make sure your brake lines are long enough for the added wheel travel :wink:

Bounty posted a link to a rear system by Nth degree mobility(?) once. It looked like a way to get some serious flex off the rear axle of a YJ!

Some people go and buy extended brake lines when they get revolvers and don't realize that you can reposition where the brake lines attach to the jeep. I managed to move my front and rear brake lines down far enough that it wouldn't be a problem with my revolvers.

I have seen a Jeep with soa like Joopin with revolvers and zboxes. He said it has mad flex and he is runnin 38.5 on it too. Haven't seen it on the trails but everyone who has says it's a great system so far

Joopin......I got a question for you. How is the soa lift? I have been considering it for my YJ as well. Any steering issues? Do you drive onroad and how does it perform? What did you do to correct any issues you had with it?

Back