Rim protection

ecor

RE: Re: RE: Gear ratio after lift

I know I haven't been on much lately but I have a question. I have been working with a chemical company on a new product and heres the idea. They have a product that you would be able to apply onto your rims in the fall that would protect the rim from the abuse of winter. The product would dull your rim in apearance but would protect it from salt. You would put it on in the fall and then in the spring spray a release agent onto the the rim and rinse the stuff off. It will not damage clear coat or a polished rim. It would not give you a scratch or gouge protection but it would protect you from the corrosion that happens from winter use. There idea is to come out with it as a kit that would include the prep and remover with a bottle of protective coating and an applicator. It would be everything you would need to do 4 rims and there target is $49.00 shipped to your door. What I was wondering is, would it be something people would buy. This product has been being used for over 10 years in commercial appplications and has been tested in many ways to make sure that it will do what it says and not harm your rims. NYS has been doing tests with this stuff and is now purchasing it for use on bridges and plow trucks. So I want to ask what you think?

RE: Re: Laughter.... the color of life

uh, doesnt applying a thin coat of crisco accomplish the same thing?

This won't come off in the car wash like crisco would and to tell you the truth I have never had much luck with the crisco trick. This actually seals to your rim to protect it. I have heard of people using crisco and the other one is to apply paste wax. Those both are just a film that you are applying to the surface and hoping that at 60 with salt water blasting your rim doesn't just wash off. This stuff actually bonds to the metal and until the release agent is applied, it doesn't come off.

I believe this product already exhists.. I think it is called zoop wax, it is big in the dub croud. they use it to seal the polish or chrome wheels to keep from having to polish off any oxidation every three days. Unfortunatly I can't recall the accual name.

Nope this stuff is not a wax. The zoop wax is just that it is a wax. Any wax will do the same thing. This will actually create a barrier to the rim that is very tough. This stuff has been a round for awhile but only in commercial applications. They use it on NYS snow plows as an undercoating and find that they have no rust at the end of the season. I assure you this is not a wax or a grease.

I dont want to take over the thread but do you have any idea what the proper way is to fix some pitting on an alloy wheel (damage caused by the terrible NY salty roads). BTW I would definitely be interested in that product. Salt ruins your jeep!!!

A few Katrina Pics from New Orleans

Thats the reason that I started looking into this. My rims became pitted and cruddy. I still have not found an inexpensive way to fix the rims.

RE: Cheap windshield motor needed

does that 50 bucks only buy you one year of protection?

Hi-Ya, ecor,

I dunno...seems like a good idea from the perspective of a New Yorker familiar with winter related rim damage, but also one of those things that you want to "see it to believe it."

I will state that unless one has very expensive rims, $49.00 a shot seems way too high a price.

The 33 X 12.5 tires shown in my sig pics just don't cut it during our winters. Consequently, I swap over to "pizza-cutter" winter tires. I am not unique in that respect. As you know, many snow/rust-belters change over to "winter rims and tires."

Since I must change to winter tires, I find it easier and less expensive over the long-term to mount the winter tires on inexpensive, "sacrificial" winter rims.

Perhaps the market for this product would be those who choose or must run the same rims-tires year-round.

In any case, I vote: "No way."

Regards,

Gadget

RE: Swap in a cruise control?

the 49 bucks does one year, but in comparison to those that mount different rims, around here it's 10 bucks a tire for mounting and balancing also if you compare it to the cost of 1 steel rim it is not much. I just started looking into this stuff because I had so many people asking me if there was such a product.

Re: RE: A few Katrina Pics from New Orleans

I think there is definitely a market for it.

RE: commander commercial

With cars I used to use wax on the wheels whenever I waxed the car. IT worked fine.

Never did it with the XJ though, prolly because I never waxed it.

I used wax on chrome wheels in central Il to protect from winter road salt for years, it worked really well. I did see a product that sounds similar that you sprayed onto your hood instead of buying a bug shield, but i think you just peeled it off.

$50 bucks is pretty steep, over the life of most rims you would spend way more on protectant that the rim was worth. Especially the rims that most people run on vehicles that see a lot of road time.

However, if you could get it to off-gas cyanide when it comes in contact to ammonia then I may be interested. Living in Phoenix, dog pee is where my biggest problem is.

ecor said:
the 49 bucks does one year, but in comparison to those that mount different rims, around here it's 10 bucks a tire for mounting and balancing also if you compare it to the cost of 1 steel rim it is not much. I just started looking into this stuff because I had so many people asking me if there was such a product.

Yeah, but around these parts, you can pick up a set of 4 pizza cutter plain Jane rims for about $40-$50 a set, another $40 to mount and balance them, so you're out about $90 tops. You can run that set several seasons before you have to buy another. Two years of protection is all that will buy you with this stuff. Nope, doesn't sound like it's a good investment to me at all.

Oh, and besides that, you said it doesn't protect against scratches, right? So, around here we often get lots of ice and snow that thaws/freezes/thaws/freezes again and again, so it gets very hard, like solid ice hard, and can scratch the bejeezus outta your rims. I'm guessing it would also scratch this stuff off the rims, leaving spots that aren't protected, so instead of a mildly noticeable overall salt damage, you have very clean rims with an extremely noticeable collection of rusty looking scrapes and scratches.

MJ parts

judge09 said:
I dont want to take over the thread but do you have any idea what the proper way is to fix some pitting on an alloy wheel (damage caused by the terrible NY salty roads). BTW I would definitely be interested in that product. Salt ruins your jeep!!!
I work for an aluminum wheel manufacturing company and the best way is to either buff it out with a polishing compound and a wool wheel or if it's too deep, wet sand it out. Remember, this only works on non-painted aluminum wheels. If you have pitting and corroding on a painted/clearcoated aluminum wheel the only way to stop this is to strip the paint (sandblasting or media blasting works best) and repaint the wheel. If you're taking it off road, don't bother repainting because you'll just scratch and crack your paint and end up back in the same situation again.

Craig said:
judge09 said:
I work for an aluminum wheel manufacturing company and the best way is to either buff it out with a polishing compound and a wool wheel or if it's too deep, wet sand it out. Remember, this only works on non-painted aluminum wheels. If you have pitting and corroding on a painted/clearcoated aluminum wheel the only way to stop this is to strip the paint (sandblasting or media blasting works best) and repaint the wheel. If you're taking it off road, don't bother repainting because you'll just scratch and crack your paint and end up back in the same situation again.

The wheel isnt painted. maybe I will give the polishing compound and wool wheel a try. Thanks

RE: GL5 or GL3?

I usually end up having to do mine after every winter. If you get an aluminum polishing compound, read the label first. Some brands will dry very fast and it's a real pain to get off if it drys.

Back