Rock Krawler 5.5 in. Triple Threat Long Arm

JeepMonkey

Long time no post......I broke my Jeep this weekend and figured now's a good time to upgrade the suspension a little. I'm currently running a 4" Skyjacker (double flex/short arm). It was nice at first, but I've seen the error of my ways and decided that a long arm kit is the only way to go.

Since the most current breakage involves the upper control arm/trac bar mounting bracket becoming unattached from the rear axle, I was leaning towards doing a kit that incorporated a tri-link set up.

From what I've seen, there are a lot of positive reviews on the RK 5.5 kit......is anyone here running it with complaints or something else that has better luck?

p0p

I've got no experience with tri-links, so I'd be interested in knowing as well.

Looks like the one I'd rather go with is the triangulated 4-link. Plus, the front is a 3-link or 4-link depending on what you plan to do with it. I haven't found any bad reviews yet......though, it's going to be a while before I get mine put on since I don't have the $$$.

Well, I was finally able to scrounge up the $$$ to buy the long arm upgrade kit. I went with the 5.5" LA upgrade from Rock Krawler. It was a tough decision between RK and Clayton, but in the end, I thought the overall clearance of the RK skid plate design was better. The LCA mounting points don't hang below the skid plate at all. Plus, the RK kit came with the skid plate whereas with the Clayton kit you had to order it separately and it was all together more expensive.

The hardest part of the installation process by far has been the removal of the old control arm mounts. I don't have a torch so it was a lot of cut-off and grinding wheels and a whole lot of effort. These new control arms are easily the heaviest pieces of equipment I've ever seen. They're solid steel so I don't think I'll be breaking or bending them anytime soon. In fact, I'm more worried about the axle mounting points giving out under the load now.

I will try to post some pics when I get a chance. Tonight I'm going to get the front end completely bolted together and hopefully start working on how to reroute my exhaust. It's going to take more than a simple modified cat back muffler to get it done. The stock cat doesn't fit in the stock location now so I'm going to have to get creative.

Look for universal cat its smaller, and you can cut it in closer to the front. Just will need a new bung welded in and a few hangers.

Look for universal cat its smaller, and you can cut it in closer to the front. Just will need a new bung welded in and a few hangers.

Thanks.....I was going to look for a new/smaller cat, but I didn't want to get screwed if it wasn't smog legal. Although, now that I think about it, I'm not sure how a catalytic converter of any kind wouldn't be smog legal. Usually people are trying to get rid of those when it comes to upgrades. And I don't have any 02 sensors in the cat. Mine are all on the driver side of the exhaust......I think I have 2 below on the Y pipe and 1 or 2 on the header.

Back