Rough country 3 in suspension lift kit

albacore00

Recently purchased 3 in lift kit for my 1998 Cherokee sport. Bumped into a guy who told me any lift higher than 2 inches requires a yoke slip eliminator. I contacted rough country who sells the YSE and was told I do not need a YSE. I don't want to complete the install and have an unnecessary vibration because of a bad angle on my drive shaft. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

If you have the drops for transfer case your fine mine is a 4" skyjacker with 1 1/2" drop for transfer case

What are drops? I haven't opened up my kit as I won't be starting the install for 2 or 3 weeks. Not sure if they are included. If I decide to purchase the YSE and install would it deter the performance of the jeep if I don't need it?

The "drops" are a metal spacer that go between your transmission cross member and in your case your unit body. With a Cherokee and the longer rear drive shaft you should be ok as far as not needing a sye. Now if you want a stronger setup overall a sye is hard to beat. I prefer a true sye (insert your preferred manufacturer here), however a "hack and tap" style is also an option. That would let you run a junkyard Cherokee front shaft as a rear shaft. With any sye you will need to change your rear pinion angle in your case you would use degree shims under your spring packs to set it.

You will need to space down the transmission crossmember at least a half inch. I made my own when I put a 3" kit on our old '98 Cherokee, using .5" bar stock. Drill two holes in each one and mount the crossmember back up using 4 bolts .5" longer than stock.

There's one stud and one bolt on each end of the crossmember. The stud will come out of the frame with a pipe wrench and a bolt will go in its place.

A SYE kit is not needed with this moderate lift, a transfer case lowering kit will get you by. A SYE requires a new rear driveshaft and leaf spring shims to point your rear axle pinion upward inline with the driveshaft.

The "drops" are a metal spacer that go between your transmission cross member and in your case your unit body. With a Cherokee and the longer rear drive shaft you should be ok as far as not needing a sye. Now if you want a stronger setup overall a sye is hard to beat. I prefer a true sye (insert your preferred manufacturer here), however a "hack and tap" style is also an option. That would let you run a junkyard Cherokee front shaft as a rear shaft. With any sye you will need to change your rear pinion angle in your case you would use degree shims under your spring packs to set it.
Thanks for the valuable info. My kit comes with drops for the transmission. I may replace the driveshaft unjointed just to be safe.

Back