Rough Ride

Jeep4230

I have a 1980 cj7 with a 4 in hard spring left sitting on 35 in tires and was wondering if any one had a suggestions to make it ride smoother
any help would be appreciated
thank

old man emu springs? does ome make springs for cjs? man, might have to go bds, rubicon express or zone, if they make them for a cj because i think ome might not make them

you probably have rough country springs

Yea the lift was on it when I acquired the jeep so I have no idea what kind it is. I have heard of messing with the tire pressure to improve the ride but I don't want to monkey with it to much with knowing what I'm doing

With 35 inch tires tire preasure makes a big difference. I'm running about 20 lbs on highway in mine and they seem to be wearing even. With chaulk, Mark a line across your tread. Run it for just a few revolutions on the road and check how it's worn off. Worn off in the center means it needs less preasure. Worn off on the edges means it needs more. If you just want it to ride better and don't care about tire wear, Lower the preasure to where your happy with it. I wouldn't go below 15 lbs for highway use.

I had a 79 cj7 that rode like a tank. I put Big Dicks Suspension 4" lift on it and it rode much better.
Your shocks could have a impact on the ride, if they dont look new you may consider geting new ones. Another thing that can stiffen the ride is if your shackle bolts are too tight. you can loosen them a little which will allow the suspension to move more freely. there should be a metal sleeve in your rubber spring bushings that the bolt gos through, a lot of times the bolts rust to the sleeves and dont allow for much spring movement and stiffens your ride. remember you do have 35" tires on a cj, your rides not going to be the best to begin with but should be decent anyway.

I'd look for frozen / rusted / over tightened shackles too.

Back