Rubicon 06'

yjdave

Hey sully, hitting the con in june. Got a small group of 4-5 going. Anyone else in the area, i'll save ya a cold one.

Sounds tempting! If this overheating thing can be sorted out soon I will definitely get back to you.

I am out for June. Will make it in mid July though.

beer, mud where ;)
i'm now tempted to drive the 20 hours needed for free beer and mud 8)

Well just got back, one hell of a drive. Trail was a little wet and rangers were out in force. Still worth it. pic's to follow.

Sully said:
I am out for June. Will make it in mid July though.

You should come up to oregon for jolly jeepers jamboree july 15/16.

okay, not to sound like a complete rookie but whats the deal with the Rubicon? I am in Vegas and a couple of us have knocked around the idea of making a run up there in November, doing the camping bit, etc. Is it going to be too cold? Is it worth the 8 hour drive when Moab is roughly 4 hours away? Our clubs annual Hump n Bump is in November also, so I kind of have to prioritize.

Thanks

Gone&DoneIt said:
okay, not to sound like a complete rookie but whats the deal with the Rubicon? I am in Vegas and a couple of us have knocked around the idea of making a run up there in November, doing the camping bit, etc. Is it going to be too cold? Is it worth the 8 hour drive when Moab is roughly 4 hours away? Our clubs annual Hump n Bump is in November also, so I kind of have to prioritize.

Thanks

Different animals...moab is big and brown, plus it's alot flatter. Con is very slow and rocky with trees and water(some). Bigger lift and tires for con or really good sliders. Plus if your that close to moab how can you not go ALOT. But you can always hit con for a long weekend.

Gone&DoneIt said:

Thanks

It would probably be too cold in November; the elevation is around 6,000 feet, and they get alot of snow...usually there is enough by late November for the ski lifts to open. I'm pretty sure the trail is closed in the winter, but I'm not sure what months. I wouldn't try it any later than October--just think Donner Party (which, coincidentally, was near the Rubicon). I say definately try it sometime during the summer though, it's a great trail and beautiful area.

Got home late last night. Only thing I had problems with on the trail was one of my idler pulley bearings went on the first day. On the home stretch of highway I got crazy vibrations. Luckily I got it home but I barely made it into the driveway. More details later.

OK Gone, a little history and foot notes about the Rubicon trail

The first time the Rubicon trail was ran by jeeps was in 1952 - several residents of Georgetown held a meeting to discuss the possibility of an organized jeep tour from Georgetown to Lake Tahoe, via the Rubicon Trail. On August 29, 1953, 55 jeeps with 155 enthusiastic participants left Georgetown on a two day trip that is now known as "Jeepers Jamboree 1." The last weekend of July each year, four-wheelers follow the tradition of these "pioneers."

When is the best time to ride the Rubicon Trail?
Through all the printed word is in June, through September are the best times to run the trail (except for the two weeks from the end of July to the first weekend of August when the trail is closed to all but Jamboree participants). There's a big chance of snow any other time; and we should not be on the trail during wet winter/spring months when damage is done to the trail. It's just best to wait until Summer and early Fall.
The general rule is run the trail when you make dust.

I wrote this for my 4x4 group trying to get them to organize a run on the Rubi.
No luck and went and did it myself with a few friends. The Rubicon is like running Pritchet Canyon but longer and no by-passes. You can by-pass the biggies, Big and Little Sluice but you have to take Cadillac hill to get out.
Its a tough run but even a stock jeep is said to make it. There trail rated...and this is the trail there said to be rated on.

Back